You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-16 00:47:51

Xyem

[SOLVED] Encryption I/O is very slow on Atom 330

EDIT: Initially titled "Everyday I/O on software RAID1 is very slow"

I recently upgraded my home server from Ubuntu (Hardy, I think) to Arch, coinciding with an disk update (2 * 500GB to 2 * 2TB).

However, I seem to have quite bad performance problems during "standard" usage of the server. Read or write speeds, even on large (2G) files, never exceed 17/18 MB/s (according to 'iostat -m 1').
This causes issues when using the server, for example, watching a video mounted over SSHFS. When the array is written to, it causes the video to pause for a moment, as though all read I/O stops for the ~2 seconds the array is being written to (at the aforementioned 17MB/s). I noticed this initially when I was transferring the files from the old drive and running digest checks (sha1sum) were taking far longer than I expected on my new installation, so I checked iostat which showed me the 17MB/s speed during the sha1sum checks.

This doesn't seem to be an issue with the drives themselves, nor the controllers they are attached to, as when I was creating the array, or if I force a disk to be rebuilt, it read/writes at 80MB/s (per drive and simultaneously), which is what I would expect from these drives (SATA II, 5400RPM).

I currently have it set up as such:

2 partitions per drive, set to raid_autodetect which are md0 and md1 respectively.
md0 is /boot (ext2), md1 is an encrypted volume
Encrypted volume contains an LVM with a 1G swap partition and the rest of the volume is assigned to / (ext3).

Could this setup be the root cause of my issues?
I've never had any performance issues before with encryption (even on my 1.6Ghz tablet which runs at 600Mhz with cpufreq scaling) so it doesn't strike me as it would be an issue for my Dual Core 1.6Ghz/2G RAM server (a Zotac ION-ITX-A for lower power consumption). However, it is possible that a difference in encryption methods may account for it being an issue here as I use the defaults, which may be "paranoid"..
I don't know much about LVM, so I am concerned the mere size of the LVM '/' volume may be the cause of my issue.

I'm happy to provide any extra information or run any tests to help diagnose this issue as it is quite the show-stopper for this server!

Last edited by Xyem (2010-10-20 10:41:09)

#2 2010-10-17 14:08:01

Xyem

Re: [SOLVED] Encryption I/O is very slow on Atom 330

Something just occurred to me.. I have just over 90M of free space in /boot which I can play with, so I just ran a quick test (while watching 'iostat')...

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/boot/test.zero bs=1M count=90
75+0 records in
75+0 records out
78643200 bytes (79 MB) copied, 0.541392 s, 145 MB/s

But 'iostat' didn't show anything. Then it hit me, caching!

sync

/dev/md0 gets written to at 80M/s! So this narrows it down it either being an encryption slowdown or a LVM issue. I can't imagine LVM would slow it down to 17M/s so I am going to format and set this thing up without encryption and see how it goes then smile

EDIT: I just found this page (http://www.shimari.com/dm-crypt-on-raid … benchmarks) which seems to match the poor performance I am seeing and points the finger squarely at dm-crypt. What is worrying is encryption seems to come with a 75% speed penalty, which is really making me rethink full disk encryption on all my computers (server, desktops, laptops, tablet and carputer)!

EDIT2: Not quite sure on the etiquette in this case, in regards to whether I should edit this post or have made a new one but the cause of this has been identified.
The server has a Atom 330 CPU and after several tests (and confirmed on 2 other machines with the same CPU) it has been discovered that despite being dual core 1.6Ghz cores, the encryption performance on it is absolutely terrible. Changing the cipher to aes-ecb-null results in 28M/s but on a desktop machine (non-Atom), that cipher results in zero performance drop (80M/s raw and encrypted) and the default cipher (aes-cbc-essiv:sha256) only drops to 55M/s. Hope this helps someone else. Off to go and reformat my server and carputer as unencrypted.

Last edited by Xyem (2010-10-17 16:46:32)

#3 2010-10-20 10:16:25

Xyem

After running Bonnie++ on my carputer which I recently had to buy an SSD for (bumpy road eventually took out the HDD -.-) I am getting read/write speeds of ~300M/s and 180M/s respectively on it now it is unencrypted (same Atom 330) so I'm going to rename this topic and mark it as closed with the solution being:

"The Atom 330 is just really slow at encryption"

#4 2010-10-20 10:20:57

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

It's really slow at everything, you could say tongue. Don't let the gigahertzes fool you - a powerful CPU doesn't need a high clock to get work done. A weak CPU gets a bit of work done with a high clock wink.

What's in your head is the legacy of Intel's clock speed brainwashing -  back in the days when they stressed clock speed as an indication of performance, and absolutely coincidentally happened to have CPUs that clocked insanely high (fascinatingly enough, a Netburst CPU at the same clock as a Pentium !!! would be lower, clock per clock - Intel compensated that by just scaling clock speeds). Their Core design is radically different; they got smarter.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2010-10-20 11:24:47

Xyem

Don't let the gigahertzes fool you - a powerful CPU doesn't need a high clock to get work done. A weak CPU gets a bit of work done with a high clock wink.

Don't worry, I don't, but I don't see such bad encryption performance on my LE1600 when the CPU is running at 600Mhz (an Intel Pentium M) or my laptop (when running at 800Mhz on a Core 2 Duo), so it seems specific to the Atom 330 (or the Atom line perhaps).

It's really slow at everything, you could say tongue.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is playable on the Atom 330 and my primary machine (which only goes to 56M/s with the default cipher) also has dual core 1.6Ghz Intel CPU, which would indicate it has nothing to do with clock speed anyway (and again, points to specific issues with the Atom smile

EDIT: I just had a look at the cache sizes between the Atom 330 machine and the Core 2 Duo and the Core 2 Duo has 6x the amount of cache (3072 vs 512). Don't know why, but such a small CPU cache says "I'm going to be slow at CPU intensive operations" to me tongue

Last edited by Xyem (2010-10-20 11:31:18)

Board footer