You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-20 23:32:10

cool_arrow

system problems after update

I upgraded my system today (I do it every few days) with pacman -Syu.  I restarted my system after

and noticed that along with the normal messages the boot up screen displayed a message I hadn't seen

before: "host system error PCI problems?" and it displayed "waiting for udev events to  be

processed:busy" for about 25 seconds.  Then hundreds of lines scrolled by displaying : /bin/xxx 

where xxx= cat,rm,mkdir,chmod, stty, sleep, etc. 

my system is set up so that I get a login prompt and I login as root and start gdm which gives me a

gui and I then login as user ( I started doing this due to keyboard issues with arch and this seemed

to work).  After the upgrade when I login as root I am given the prompt:

-bash-4.1#

If I enter "gdm" at that point hundreds of lines scroll by like this:
"/usr/bin/tty: line xxx: Oct: command not found"   where xxx= 0-163
and then this message is displayed:

** (gdm-binary:15406): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket

/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

Any help fixing this is appreciated.

#2 2010-10-21 15:28:11

cool_arrow

Re: system problems after update

Can anyone tell me why I cannot execute commands?  If I try to do $ls  I get alot of lines scrolling with:

/bin/ls:  line xxx: Oct: command not found

maybe if I could just update the system some things would get fixed.  But I can't execute commands. 
If I'm at the prompt:
-bash-4.1#
and I enter:  pacman -Syu               I get:

::Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database) if you're sure a package manager is not already running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

Please help.  Thanks.

Last edited by cool_arrow (2010-10-21 15:29:05)

Board footer