You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-19 17:26:56

Primoz

No (v)FAT support in Kernel26-ck [Solved]

When I build a kernel I always use menuconfig to set it "right". But at one point my SD card wasn't recognised anymore. So next time when I built the kernel I specified to build SD/MMC support as module and then chose things in the submenu that I thought were needed for SD cards. I've also specified v-fat format in which I think the SD card is in. Anyway what do I need to mark in menuconfig to get SD card working again? Or is there a daemon that I forgot to include?
Actually during posting of this post I've realized that I have realized that it's not just SD cards but also all other vFAT medias. But as I said previously I did mark to build vFAT module in kernel.
I searched the Arch repos and AUR for FAT drivers in likes of NTFS-3g but the closest thing I found was fuse-exfat (Free exFAT file system implementation). But I'm pretty sure that first time I installed Arch I didn't need any special vFAT support.
So where's the problem.

Also related to this thread: How can I save the configuration of kernel made in menuconfig to home and use it for all the next time. I used the save option, but it didn't saved it to home...

EDIT: this a error that I get when I try to mount FAT drives:

FAT: codepage cp437 not found

Last edited by Primoz (2010-10-22 12:08:19)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#2 2010-10-19 18:43:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: No (v)FAT support in Kernel26-ck [Solved]

It's not clear to me what you have or have not done, so I'll just tell you what to do. smile

In menuconfig, go to File systems -> DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems -> VFAT (Windows 95) fs support. Select M or Y as required. Codepage and iocharset are filled in by default - change them if you want.

Save your config, build your kernel.

Oh yeah - config is saved to the root of your kernel source tree. If you want it in your $HOME or anywhere else, copy it over.

#3 2010-10-19 19:40:54

Primoz

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I did chose VFAT support in File systems. At least I think so...
It still doesn't work.
I also chose SD/MMC support in "Device drivers"

I guess I'll have to rebuild the kernel again and hope that this time it works.

PS: I've decided to not include SD/MMC support drivers and just use VFAT module. I'll see if this will repair anything. Also in the SD/MMC support submenu I have no idea what to set. So I decided to just leave it. I'll see if this will make things better.

Last edited by Primoz (2010-10-19 19:57:59)

#4 2010-10-19 20:03:15

falconindy
Developer
Website

Unfortunately, vfat support doesn't pull in cp437, as its not a hard dependency. You need to select that yourself:

File Systems --> Native language support --> Codepage 437 (United States, Canada)

#5 2010-10-19 20:09:47

Primoz

falconindy wrote:

Unfortunately, vfat support doesn't pull in cp437, as its not a hard dependency. You need to select that yourself:

File Systems --> Native language support --> Codepage 437 (United States, Canada)

Thanks! And now I have to rebuild my kernel yet again big_smile
But this would probably explain the error I get when mkinitcpio is building fallback image:

==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.35-ck -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26-ck-fallback.img -S autodetect
:: Begin build
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [udev]
:: Parsing hook [pata]
:: Parsing hook [scsi]
:: Parsing hook [sata]
:: Parsing hook [filesystems]
ERROR: module 'nls_cp437' not found
ERROR: module 'nls_cp437' not found

I surely hope so...

#6 2010-10-19 20:17:37

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@Primoz - I dunno about your vfat issue... what happens if you compile it with no menuconfig - just building the straight -ck1 patchset (i.e. leave all options set to "N")?   Are you sure that you're not using the "localmodconfig" option when building?  I'm guessing that you are...

As to saving your custom .config - that is easy to do.  Once you sort out the vfat thing, simply go through the menuconfig setting up whatever options you like, then as the package is compiling, simply copy the /path/to/kernel26-ck/src/linux-2.6.35/.config to ~/my.config

You can then edit the PKGBUILD to copy that over to your build directory rather than the standard arch config - or you can edit the "graysky config" to use your file.  You'll have to update the md5sum array in that case.

Last edited by graysky (2010-10-19 20:18:09)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#7 2010-10-19 20:26:10

Primoz

graysky wrote:

@Primoz - I dunno about your vfat issue... what happens if you compile it with no menuconfig - just building the straight -ck1 patchset (i.e. leave all options set to "N")?   Are you sure that you're not using the "localmodconfig" option when building?  I'm guessing that you are...

As to saving your custom .config - that is easy to do.  Once you sort out the vfat thing, simply go through the menuconfig setting up whatever options you like, then as the package is compiling, simply copy the /path/to/kernel26-ck/src/linux-2.6.35/.config to ~/my.config

You can then edit the PKGBUILD to copy that over to your build directory rather than the standard arch config - or you can edit the "graysky config" to use your file.  You'll have to update the md5sum array in that case.

Thanks! And yeah I do use localmodconfig. I hope that's OK. I know that the localmodconfig was already a culprit behind the not working of NTFS, but I strongly hope it's not also behind VFAT.
But I solved the NTFS problem with booting to "normal" kernel and building packages there, as the rent installation of kernel26-ck won't work I'll just do that.

#8 2010-10-19 21:18:56

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Ahha!  There is the root cause of your missing module!  You need to modprobe the vfat module before you initiate the build of the kernel.  Boot to the Arch kernel, plug in your usb stick, any and all possible filesystems, modules, etc. save the output of lsmod to a text file... better yet, use my modprobed_db script to do it all for you:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=41689

My advice is run with that script logging data for a week or so - again, make sure that you use your system running every program you use and mounting any and all filesystems you ever use.  This includes, cifs (samba), nfs, etc.  Also, USB devices, network cards, etc. etc.  Do you use truecrypt?  If so, mount up your volumes as they require their own modules too.  The script will keep track of your modules you'll need to probe before you compile with the localmodconfig option.

Once you have collected all the data via the script, simply run the following before you start your build and all will be well:

$ sudo modprobe -a $(cat /var/log/modprobe.long)

Enjoy!

Last edited by graysky (2010-10-19 21:20:27)

#9 2010-10-20 10:45:18

Primoz

graysky wrote:

Ahha!  There is the root cause of your missing module!  You need to modprobe the vfat module before you initiate the build of the kernel.  Boot to the Arch kernel, plug in your usb stick, any and all possible filesystems, modules, etc. save the output of lsmod to a text file... better yet, use my modprobed_db script to do it all for you:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=41689

My advice is run with that script logging data for a week or so - again, make sure that you use your system running every program you use and mounting any and all filesystems you ever use.  This includes, cifs (samba), nfs, etc.  Also, USB devices, network cards, etc. etc.  Do you use truecrypt?  If so, mount up your volumes as they require their own modules too.  The script will keep track of your modules you'll need to probe before you compile with the localmodconfig option.

Once you have collected all the data via the script, simply run the following before you start your build and all will be well:

$ sudo modprobe -a $(cat /var/log/modprobe.long)

Enjoy!

Well I'm a real noob when it comes to crontables, so I hope I did it right... I add a cron to my user (primoz) I hope that's the what I need to do. Or should I add the cron to root?
I just hope this will work. I'll report back when I'll think I used all the possible filesystems and other things that might have use modules.

#10 2010-10-20 11:12:48

Primoz

OK I've remembered something that could be important what about the modules that I installed? Things like vhba-module and modules made by VirtualBox?
I'm guessing if I only reinstall the or even in VirtualBox case just rebuild them everything will be OK, right?
Also how can I get UDF module to work, if it isn't included into lts kernel; which I use instead of normal Arch kernel. Hope that's not a problem.
I've decided to use it as a fallback kernel because of its stability.

#11 2010-10-21 23:54:10

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

For virtual box:

# /etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup

Dunno what you mean about the UDF module...

#12 2010-10-22 06:16:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI both kernel26 and kernel26-lts provide the udf module.

#13 2010-10-22 12:07:11

Primoz

OK with the latest kernel26-ck update I got FAT working.
The only DVD-RW which I thought was in UDF didn't work in kernel26-lts. But It's OK I can't even find it anymore big_smile
And soon after the last question I realised that VirtualBox and vhba aren't a real problem.

So basically this is solved.

#14 2010-10-22 23:10:46

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@op - it's not the latest package, it's the fact that you modprobed what you wanted compiled into the package before you built the package -- if you're still using the localmodconfig option.  Did you get the module_db script I wrote working properly or are you not enabling that build option?

#15 2010-10-23 00:29:31

Primoz

graysky wrote:

@op - it's not the latest package, it's the fact that you modprobed what you wanted compiled into the package before you built the package -- if you're still using the localmodconfig option.  Did you get the module_db script I wrote working properly or are you not enabling that build option?

I just got every module working before I compiled the kernel. And I doubt I got module_db working properly as I don't have modprobe.long file.
I added cron to both my user and root, and still nothing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But as I said I'm a real noob when it comes to cronjobs.

Board footer