You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-22 16:34:33

flamirande

[SOLVED] Need Help Compiling: stereograph

Hello,

I am trying to compile a package called stereograph. However, when I run sudo make && sudo make install, I get the following:

$ sudo make && sudo make install
gcc -Wall -O2 -Dlinux -DSTEREOGRAPH_ONLY -DX11GUI   -c -o stereograph.o stereograph.c
gcc -Wall -O2 -Dlinux -DSTEREOGRAPH_ONLY -DX11GUI   -c -o renderer.o renderer.c
gcc -Wall -O2 -Dlinux -DSTEREOGRAPH_ONLY -DX11GUI   -c -o gfxio.o gfxio.c
gfxio.c: In function 'GFX_Identify_File':
gfxio.c:324:7: attention : pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strncasecmp' differ in signedness
/usr/include/string.h:540:12: note: expected 'const char *' but argument is of type 'unsigned char *'
gfxio.c:325:29: attention : pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strncasecmp' differ in signedness
/usr/include/string.h:540:12: note: expected 'const char *' but argument is of type 'unsigned char *'
gfxio.c: In function 'GFX_Read_PNG':
gfxio.c:875:3: attention : 'jmpbuf' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1119)
gfxio.c: In function 'GFX_Write_PNG':
gfxio.c:1053:2: attention : 'jmpbuf' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1119)
gfxio.c: In function 'GFX_Write_X11':
gfxio.c:1643:10: attention : pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
gfxio.c: In function 'GFX_Generate_SinlineTexture':
gfxio.c:1493:9: attention : 'a' may be used uninitialized in this function
gcc -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lX11 -ldl -rdynamic -L/usr/X11R6/lib  stereograph.o renderer.o gfxio.o   -o stereograph
cp stereograph `grep -i "prefix =" ../Makefile | grep -i -v exec | cut -d"=" -f 2`/bin/stereograph
grep: ../Makefile: No such file or folder
cp stereograph.1 `grep -i "prefix =" ../Makefile | grep -i -v exec | cut -d"=" -f 2`/man/man1/stereograph.1
grep: ../Makefile: No such file or folder
cp: impossible to create standard file « /man/man1/stereograph.1 »: No such file or folder
make: *** [install] Error 1

(I translated the error messages) Does anyone know what could be the problem and how I could fix it? I have a little experience with installing from source and am willing to learn, so I can probably change a few things in the source code if needed. Could it be that this is an old program and that some things have changed since its conception?

Otherwise, does anyone have suggestions for another SIRDS or stereogram (commonly known as Magic Eye) program?

Thanks in advance,
François

Last edited by flamirande (2010-10-23 01:08:36)

#2 2010-10-22 19:36:19

Halcyon22

Re: [SOLVED] Need Help Compiling: stereograph

First read this http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_Packages , then read README and INSTALL inside the source directory. It appears you need to edit the Makefile and change the PREFIX=/usr

#3 2010-10-23 00:59:55

flamirande

Re: [SOLVED] Need Help Compiling: stereograph

Hi Halcyon,

Thank you kindly, changing PREFIX=/usr did the trick, with only one minor problem left. I even learned something about the way compiling works.  If I understand correctly, "Make" first compiles the program into the source code directory and then "Make install" moves files to the correct places in the system, is this right?

The minor problem is that, with the PREFIX=/usr value, it copies the program (or binary? I am not sure of the correct terminology) to "/usr/bin/", which is correct, but then tries to copy the manual into the directory "$PREFIX/man/man1/" = "/usr/man/man1/", whereas I think it needs to go into "/usr/share/man/man1/". I copied it manually, so everything is perfect, but were I able to fix this in the automated process, I would proceed to create a PKGBUILD and perhaps even upload it to the AUR.

In any case, thanks again.

Cheers,
François

Board footer