You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-19 15:31:19

farkus888

Arch failing to format during fresh install

I am working on a fresh install from ftp and ran into a problem while configuring my drives. I did my drive partitioning in the installer, but when I went to format and set mount points using the installer it went through but gave an error about mounting each individual partition I had created. I went back to cfdisk and checked and it showed the drive as being partitioned but none of the partitions were formatted. I opened a second terminal and typed the following commands

mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sda1
mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sda2
mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sda4
mkswap /dev/sda3
swapon /dev/sda3

then I only got an error about swap (presumably because I already mounted it) when I set mountpoints. I went through the rest of the install and am getting GRUB error 2 when I try to boot into my new system. I have tried each of the partitions it could be (hd0,0 hd1,0 and so on) with the number of partitions that exist on the computer.

Anyone have any idea what it is I am doing wrong?

#2 2010-10-22 00:59:28

mrinehart93

Re: Arch failing to format during fresh install

I'm not really sure about what happened there... I knew I was getting some problems with cfdisk while I was installing Arch, but I was able to just set mountpoints to partitions I had already made. You can always try the Gparted Live CD, or an Ubuntu Live CD. Both can edit partitions, and both work quite well.

#3 2010-10-23 05:10:45

farkus888

Re: Arch failing to format during fresh install

I finally figured out how to get it to work. I had to format (did it from the command line on another VT inside the installer) by hand and then run that step. Even when I did that EXT4 didn't work, getting the same GRUB error, switching to EXT3 got it booting again. This is the second time I have tried the net installer and both times it has not worked due to some weird bug, I am going back to using the cd installer in the future... by the time I troubleshoot it would still be quicker to install and then immediately upgrade.

Board footer