You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-23 18:14:27

Carbono

Audio tracks not in XMMS

Hi everybody,

I just read http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ight=audio

and try the commands given by phrakture for blondboy71, whishing to add myself to the audio group, since when I'm in XMMS and push the play button, it opens a window in which I locate my cd player (/mnt/cd). But no songs appear at this location. However, I can access data on data CDs, but not songs on music CDs...

Here is what I tried:

droletg$ groups
users
droletg$ usermd -G optical,audio,video droletg
Password:

And I get this

usermod: PAM authentification failed

I tried with the password for droletg and for root. I get the same message.

What is the password then?

Thankx

P.S. When I try:

mount /mnt/cd

with a music cd, I get the message: wrong fstype, bad superblock or ...
But I've read this is normal since apparently one can't mount music CDs...

#2 2005-04-23 18:44:15

lucke

Re: Audio tracks not in XMMS

You ought to usermod as root, not user.

#3 2005-04-24 17:12:50

Carbono

Hi again!

I tried usermod as root:

root$ groups
root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel
root$ usermod -G audio,video,optical droletg

Then I tried xmms again and it still won't play my music CD. We I push the play button, I still get a window to browse for files to play, but no files appear under /mnt/cd...

What do you think the problem is?

Gui is thanking you

#4 2005-04-24 18:28:03

lucke

Is cdrom device set up properly in the preferences of CD Audio plugin? i.e. does the device match the mount point, as indicated by fstab (for example /dev/cd ==> /mnt/cd; it depends on your udev config, if you use udev, that is)?

#5 2005-04-24 18:57:40

Carbono

First, I'm using DevFS.  Second, my cd player is a CD-RW/DVD.

For the mount point, I think everything works fine when there's a data CD inside the CDplayer (i.e. no error message at boot-up).

But when I put a music CD in it, I get the message at boot-up (wrong fs type, bad superblock, ...).

Here is my /etc/fstab section  for cd :

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/cd  iso9660 defaults,user    0     0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/dvd  udf   ro,user,noauto,unhide

When I do:

root$ cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM  SBW-242

Maybe my fstab is not correct for automatically mounting my CD-RW/DVD at boot-up???

#6 2005-04-24 19:01:47

lucke

I meant the xmms preferences. Open xmms, press ctrl-P and check the 'cd audio player' plugin configuration. And make sure it's enabled.

#7 2005-04-24 19:20:19

Carbono

OK, sorry for the fstab and thianks for quick reply.

Yes, the CD Audio Player plugin is enabled.

Other thing: I can play a movie file (.avi)  from my Hard Disk with XMMS but I dont get any sound, although I'm pretty sure I have the right module loaded (8139too) for my sound card (Realtek AC 97). lsmod says 8139too is used by mii. Lsmod also lists several snd's loaded (snd_pcm, snd_ac97codec, snd_intel8x0m, snd_intel8x0, snd_pcm_oss, snd_timer, snd_mixer_oss).

???

Gui

#8 2005-04-24 20:37:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

snd_intel8x0m is a module for modem sound.  Some people has problem with it. You might want to add it to /etc/hotplug/blacklist so that it won't be loaded by hotplug. You can also try to add snd_intel8x0 to blacklist too.  It a on-board sound card.  I don't know why hotplug loads it but it might interfere with the Realtek sound card.

BTW, audio CD (like movie DVD) cannot be mounted. You just play them with the player.

#9 2005-04-24 20:53:45

Carbono

BTW, audio CD (like movie DVD) cannot be mounted. You just play them with the player.

I know but, how do I play them with the player?

Here is what I do:

droletg$ startx

In fluxbox (my window manager):

droletg$ xmms

Then I click the play button in XMMS and it opens the file browser instead of playing the songs in the CD player :x

Why is that?

#10 2005-04-24 21:02:15

Carbono

Hi!

Still no sound in my video when snd_intel8x0m and snd_intel8x0 put in hotplug blacklist...

...And still no music from my CD player!

Grrrr :evil:

#11 2005-04-24 21:24:08

lucke

Seems you didn't quite get my post ;-) Make sure the proper path to cdrom device (/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in your case) is set in the cd audio plugin configuration dialog. It works here.

I'm not sure about video in xmms, as I don't use it, but I guess you are using xmms-mplayer plugin. You should check its configuration too, especially settings concerning audio output.

There's also xmms-cdparanoia plugin for playing audio cd, which could interest you. I haven't used it though.

#12 2005-04-24 21:49:08

Carbono

OK. I just did exactly what you said:

Ctrl+P ->Audio I/O Plugins -> CD Audio Player 1.2.10 -> Configure -> Device -> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
Directory -> /mnt/cd

And, thank you, it worked!

In the same window where I set the Device path, there is a "Check Drive" button. If I hit it, I get the message:
Device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 OK
Disc has 14 tracks
Directory /mnt/cd OK

SO now I can see the songs in the browse window and select one to play, but there is still NO SOUND coming out of my laptop speakers (I haven't tried headphones).

My laptop keyboard has a Fn key (Function) that I can use along with 2 others keys (volume up and volume down) to set the sound. Should it be a problem??

#13 2005-04-25 07:18:21

lucke

Did you try using setting the digital audio extraction in the said configuration dialog? Analog play mode works only when there's a cable connecting cd-rom drive and music card.

#14 2005-04-25 13:27:15

Carbono

Yes I tried it. Didn't work.

And I just discovered I still get error messages on the console when exiting xmms, after I tried stuff e.g., changing to digital extraction, changing other settings).

WARNING: oss_open(): Failed to open auio device (/dev/dsp): No such file or directory

Segmentation Fault

and/or

WARNING: oss_set_volume(): Failed to open audio mixer (/dev/mixer): No such file or directory

Also, I do I look if I have the right driver for my sound card loaded?

#15 2005-04-25 14:23:55

lucke

Does mp3 playback work properly? Maybe you have your audio output set to oss, but you don't have alsa-oss package installed (it seems you have snd_pcm_oss/snd_pcm_mixer modules loaded - those are surely needed for /dev/dsp, I don't know the actual role of alsa-oss). Try setting the audio output in xmms preferences to alsa or install alsa-oss.

Moreover, do you have hotplug package installed (installed only, I don't mean the running daemon)?

#16 2005-04-25 14:35:07

Carbono

I haven't tried playing mp3 yet. I don't have any on my laptop but I'll try it later today.

I tried to put the autio output to ALSA but it gave me a bunch of errors:

WARNING: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device

ALSA lib confmisc.c: 550:(snd_determine_driver) could not open control for card 0
ALSA lib conf.c:3463: (_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned an error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2068: (snd_pc,_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM Default

WARNING: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): No such device

(see: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=11920)

I don't know if I have the hotplug package installed. How do I know (pacman -Syu?)

Thanks

#17 2005-04-25 14:42:53

lucke

If there's any output to 'pacman -Q hotplug' other than 'not found', hotplug is installed ;-)

Make sure you've read:
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa%20setup

And I'd suggest you to move to udev.
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/UdevHowTo

I don't think I can help you any further :-) If that doesn't work, maybe someone else will come with some brilliant solution.

#18 2005-04-25 18:37:17

Carbono

big_smile Woowoo!

I have sound now!!!

Thanks a lot for your help. I read your link on Alsa setup and ran the alsaconf script. Then I :

root$ xinit -e xmms

And it worked! But as droletg (user), xmms is frozen (i.e., I can't do nothing, no button work, etc).  I guess that's another story!

Thanks tongue

#19 2005-04-26 18:12:50

Carbono

XMMS finally defroze big_smile

As I said in the previous post, I got sound after I ran alsaconf. It detected my sound card (Intel AC 97) and wrote something to my modprobe.conf file and then I could listen to audio CDs and mp3s (I also set the output plugin in XMMS to ALSA 1.2.10).

But every time I reboot, I need to re-run alsaconf in order to get sound.

I thought it had something to do with other lines (OSS Compatibility: install snd-pcm modprobe -i ...) written before the alsa lines in modprobe.conf, but I commented these lines and rebooted, and it didn't work.

I also tried removing snd-pcm-oss from the MODULES array in rc.conf, just in case. Didn't work :cry:

Could anyone please help me with this?

Thanks

#20 2005-04-26 18:17:28

lucke

Are you storing/restoring mixer settings on reboot? Add alsa daemon to rc.conf.

#21 2005-04-26 19:39:43

Carbono

I added "alsa" in the DAEMONS array of rc.conf and rebooted. Still no sound...

Is "alsa" the right name to put in the DAEMONS array?

I didn't try adding this line to modprobe.conf

option snd-NAME-OF-MODULE ac97_quirk=0

since I thought this line was already added by alsaconf (right?).

I didn't try this either:

alsactl store

Should this be the problem?

Thanks 8)

#22 2005-04-26 20:08:21

lucke

alsa 'daemon' (it isn't actual daemon) executes alsactl store/restore. But before it saves the values, mixer has to be set properly ;-) Make sure you have Master and PCM unmuted and set to a decent value (refer to the wiki), then run '/etc/rc.d/alsa stop' to save the values. If you're running alsa 'daemon' on boot, it should restore those values. You can check them with amixer or alsamixer.

Well, that's the thing if volume is at fault. But I don't think anything else can be at fault, if it works just after running alsaconf (I'm not sure, but probably it unmutes the channels then).

I presume that after reboot you just don't hear any sounds, while the playback seems to work? Or does it output any sound devices errors again?

#23 2005-04-26 20:48:53

Carbono

I presume that after reboot you just don't hear any sounds, while the playback seems to work? Or does it output any sound devices errors again?

That's exactly what it does. I can see the song is playing by looking at the XMMS "signal" window, but I don't hear a sound.
:cry:

#24 2005-04-26 22:49:21

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

the deamon name is alsamixer (unless it has been changed).  I think that you need to 'install' it by hand.  If  /etc/rc.d/alsamixer is not on your system, you can get a copy of the script here: http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa .  I can post my alsamixer if you want.

#25 2005-04-27 06:12:37

lucke

This script has been added to alsa-utils pretty recently, I guess.

/etc/rc.d/alsa is owned by alsa-utils 1.0.8-2

Just to make some things clearer ;-)

Board footer