You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-23 21:37:42

Archie_Enthusiasm

Multimedia applications for sound and video[SOLVED]

Hello,

I am pretty new to arch distro and am using archlinux 64 bit. After setting my pc up and working with it, I really like archlinux. However, I have a problem with codecs and audio video application installations.

When I try to install vlc for example (the same for mplayer etc... ), the following errors show up.

sudo pacman -S vlc
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (34): a52dec-0.7.4-4  libsndfile-1.0.23-1  libsamplerate-0.1.7-1
              jack-0.118.0-4  fluidsynth-1.1.3-1  libmtp-1.0.2-1
              libdvbpsi-0.1.7-1  libdca-0.0.5-2  sdl_image-1.2.10-2
              libdvdread-4.1.3-2  libdvdnav-4.1.3-2  lua-5.1.4-6
              libebml-1.0.0-1  libmatroska-1.0.0-1  zvbi-0.2.33-2
              libmpcdec-1.2.6-2  libmp4v2-1.9.1-1  faac-1.28-2
              xvidcore-1.2.2-1  opencore-amr-0.1.2-1  libvdpau-0.4-1
              schroedinger-1.0.9-1  libvpx-0.9.2-1  libva-1.0.5-2
              ffmpeg-25472-1  faad2-2.7-1  fribidi-0.19.2-1  libmpeg2-0.5.1-1
              libmodplug-0.8.8.1-1  ttf-freefont-20090104-2  recode-3.6-5
              enca-1.13-1  libass-0.9.11-1  vlc-1.1.4.1-2

Total Download Size:    0.00 MB
Total Installed Size:   96.84 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
checking package integrity...
(34/34) checking for file conflicts                                                                        [###############################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
libvdpau: /usr/lib/libvdpau.so exists in filesystem
libvdpau: /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1 exists in filesystem
libvdpau: /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I have already done some researches on it. libvdpau looks like something related to nvidia stuff. I have a nvidia graph card. Therefore I downloaded the propriatery driver from nvidia and it is working perfectly fine.

Folks, please help me with this. Since I am now really satisfied with the current state of my arch linux, I do not want to mess with it on my own because I am not that familier with arch distro. I want to solve this problem using pacman for example. I do not want to remove some files manually or use some other resources on the internet other than default repos from arch.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-11-28 15:48:40)

#2 2010-10-23 21:56:09

skunktrader

Re: Multimedia applications for sound and video[SOLVED]

Archie_Enthusiasm wrote:

I have already done some researches on it. libvdpau looks like something related to nvidia stuff. I have a nvidia graph card. Therefore I downloaded the propriatery driver from nvidia and it is working perfectly fine.

That is probably the reason for your problem.  Try uninstalling the driver that you downloaded from nvidia site and installing the driver from the repository.

#3 2010-10-23 22:22:20

Archie_Enthusiasm

Is there no other way to do that? From the nvidia website, I could download exactly the right version for my graphic card. But when I use the arch repo, how can I find out the 9M notebook series 9200M GS? I do not know how I can correctly uninstall the proprietary driver now because I installed the driver without using pacman. It was just executable file.

Did anybody else have the same problem? I would really appreciate your help.

I do not want to risk uninstalling the nvidia driver. How is it be possible that one nvidia driver can cause other applications like vlc mplayer etc... not work?

#4 2010-10-23 22:32:38

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Firstly, welcome to Arch!

Secondly, that filter/drill down on the nvidia page where it makes you select the series and card is total bullshit.  You'll find that it points you to the same package for your card as it does for my card as it will for any (I think) card in the same driver family provided you keep the O/S the same.

Thirdly, always use pacman, if you must, write your own PKGBUILD and install it via pacman.  Never run a setup script to install software - ever!  You have polluted your file system with files that have no package that owns them.  I dunno how you clean that up.

Finally, and to your specific problem, you can try pacman with the force switch:

sudo pacman -Sf vlc

I would also recommend that you overwrite the majority of the files that the nvidia installer installed by doing the same with the nvidia driver package:

sudo pacman -Sf nvidia nvidia-utils

You may have some orphaned files from the nvidia installer, but they shouldn't hurt anything.

Last edited by graysky (2010-10-23 22:39:03)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2010-10-23 22:59:31

Archie_Enthusiasm

Thanks for the reply.

I will go with your suggestion. If it does not help, i will reinstall everything from the beginning. But what would the better solution? Should I just install nvidia using pacman? Will it override everything properly? Or should I just force to install vlc with that -Sf option? Which one is more harmless or clean way to do this?

Thanks a million!

#6 2010-10-23 23:31:23

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Cleanest way is to reinstall and NEVER use anything BUT pacman tongue  That is probably overkill.  Take my suggestion to install nvidia and nvidia-utils with the force switch/do the same with vlc and see if all is well.

#7 2010-10-24 00:00:55

Archie_Enthusiasm

I just followed your advice.

pacman -Sf vlc did the job. At the end, it was stated under "optional dependencies resolving" that there are two files for libvdpau with same names but of different types.

Do you think it is more or less harmless? It indeed gives some bad feeling.

Well, I can also install it from the beginning. But it will take about roughly 3-4 hours to finish until I get fully functional system. Now I have virtualbox, windows7 installed as guest OS etc.... 

I was damn satisfied with my arch until I got this error.

One more question concerning the case of new install:

When I install nvidia by executing:

pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

can it automatically detect my graphic card and install the right one? Till now, I was using other linux distros like ubuntu opensuse debian fedora etc... I always had problems with hibernate suspend, sound etc... arch linux is now the best I have ever used in linux world. I think this distro works just perfect with my laptop.

#8 2010-10-24 00:12:05

skunktrader

I believe that you should be able to completely uninstall the nvidia drivers by running the file that you downloaded from the nvidia web site with a "--uninstall" command line parameter.

Make sure that X is NOT RUNNING when you do this.

The version of nvidia in pacman is 260.19.12.  What version did you download from the web site?

You wil have to deal with this sooner or later as the drivers you currently have installed will stop working as soon as Arch release a new kernel version.

Last edited by skunktrader (2010-10-24 00:14:52)

#9 2010-10-24 00:12:16

anonymous_user

The current NVIDIA driver in the Arch repos is 260.19.12. Its the same version (as of today) thats on the NVIDIA website.

#10 2010-10-24 00:25:39

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Archie_Enthusiasm wrote:

can it automatically detect my graphic card and install the right one?

Dude, re-read my post above.  There are only a few nvidia driver packages.  The "nvidia" package covers a whole family of nvidia products -- there isn't a specific one for your card vs. my card so long as we all have a "modern" GPU.  The nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx are other options, but that's it.  I'm very sure that the "nvidia" package is what you want.  (it provides 260.19.12 as of today).

Try uninstalling with the script you download as skunktrader suggested.  Then install via pacman as I suggested.

Last edited by graysky (2010-10-24 00:26:23)

#11 2010-10-24 13:37:31

Archie_Enthusiasm

Folks, thank you very much for your responses. I did a fresh install but using nvidia and nvidia-utils from pacman. Till now, I installed apps only using pacman. While installing vlc, I did not have the described above. It just works very amazingly.

Summary: Arch linux rulez!

Board footer