You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-12 13:50:14

Hamsterkill

Hang on shutdown attempts with Envy 15 and proprietary Catalyst driver

Hey,

I've posted this issue a few places around the net and even around these forums, but haven't really got a good answer yet.

It appears that something about fglrx is causing my system to hang when shutting down. Its all the way to "Power off" and then freezes. I ran some tests.

If I modprobe fglrx and try to shutdown without ever running an X server, it shuts down okay.

If I modprobe fglrx, run an X server, kill the X server and rmmod fglrx, the hang still occurs when I try to power down.

If I only run an X server on the vesa driver, everything works fine on shutdown.

Restarts of the computer always work fine -- it is only shutdowns that cause the hang.

I've looked through the logs and nothing seems to be different in them between a restart and shutdown. I believe the the hang may be occurring after logging has already stopped.

Running on Mobility Radeon 5830 (HP Envy 15 laptop Core i5) with Catalyst 10.7 from AUR -- Arch Linux x64, kernel 2.6.34. However, I had had this problem ever since I got it at 2.6.32 and Catalyst 10.3. I don't know whether this is a weird bug with Evergreen, with Arch (I haven't tried another distro on this laptop yet), or just with my laptop, or even just with a configuration setting. Any ideas?

#2 2010-10-27 16:56:04

Hamsterkill

Re: Hang on shutdown attempts with Envy 15 and proprietary Catalyst driver

Problem finally resolved with a BIOS update.

Board footer