You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-24 13:28:46

kdar

Unable to install Matlab in sudo mode

I am trying to install 64-bit version of Matlab in my ArchLinux, running KDE.

The installer was able to start when I typed

/media/iso/instal

(install being the install sh script).
However, it wasn't able to create folders due to permission limits.

So, I decided to run it as a root, I type

sudo /media/iso/install

and it gave me bunch of errors and existed to the prompt again.

Here is just part of that error message

Preparing installation files ...
Installing ...
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Exception in thread "main" com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Guice provision errors:

1) Error injecting constructor, java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
  at com.mathworks.wizard.ui.laf.UIDefaultsTableImpl.<init>(UIDefaultsTableImpl.java:17)
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ui.laf.UIDefaultsTableImpl
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ui.laf.UIDefaultsTable
  at com.mathworks.wizard.ui.laf.LookAndFeelModule.provideUIProperties(LookAndFeelModule.java:41)
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ui.laf.UIProperties
    for parameter 4 at com.mathworks.wizard.ui.WizardUIImpl.<init>(WizardUIImpl.java:75)
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ui.WizardUIImpl
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ui.WizardUI annotated with @com.google.inject.name.Named(value=BaseWizardUI)
  at com.mathworks.wizard.ui.UIModule.provideWizardUI(UIModule.java:36)
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ui.WizardUI
    for parameter 0 at com.mathworks.wizard.ExceptionHandlerImpl.<init>(ExceptionHandlerImpl.java:23)
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ExceptionHandlerImpl
  while locating com.mathworks.wizard.ExceptionHandler
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment

Last edited by kdar (2010-10-24 13:31:09)

#2 2010-10-25 02:27:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Unable to install Matlab in sudo mode

When you're root some env variables aren't propagated, so probably your java env variables are among those.

I'd suggest installing Matlab as user, that's what I do with mine. Just create a folder anywhere (let's say /opt/Matlab) and chmod -R youruser:yourgroup on that folder, and you're good to go.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-10-27 18:59:09

eDio

Read matlab manual on the cd. Afair, it contains comprehensive instructions on installing matlab.
At least, I did all things by this manual and I can't remember any problems with my installation process.

#4 2010-10-28 01:19:23

kdar

ngoonee wrote:

When you're root some env variables aren't propagated, so probably your java env variables are among those.

I'd suggest installing Matlab as user, that's what I do with mine. Just create a folder anywhere (let's say /opt/Matlab) and chmod -R youruser:yourgroup on that folder, and you're good to go.

Thanks that worked, but I just realized I have not enough space on my root partition.

I guess I will just install it in my home folder somewhere.

#5 2010-10-28 01:27:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yeah, the exact partition isn't important, just as long as you have enough space and the $MATLAB install folder is owned by your user.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer