You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-25 11:01:21

maxexcloo

Synchronising Complete Arch Installs & Two Way Sync Of Files

I am planning on buying a laptop (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=106979) and am wondering if it is possible to completely synchronise the Arch Linux install on my desktop with the install on my laptop. Obviously there will be some differences but I am planning to simply exclude irrelevant config files and packages if it's possible. I am mainly looking to sync the /etc and /home folders and keep the package lists on both computers largely the same. It would be really cool to have two systems that are virtually the same that synchronise updates and config changes with each other as well as my home folder (I know this is possible, can anyone suggest any tools?).

Another thing that I could use some pointers on is synchronising files between my desktop/laptop and my USB Hard Drive when it is plugged in (either automatically or through a script). I tried Unison but it doesn't seem to like large files and frequently chokes when there is a large amount of files.

I know the above ideas are wishful thinking but if anyone has any good tips or suggestions it would be nice to know them smile

#2 2010-10-25 12:16:02

Mektub

Re: Synchronising Complete Arch Installs & Two Way Sync Of Files

I have done it many times.

You can copy your entire Arch, dont copy /sys or /proc.

Since you are starting from scratch you will have to have some livecd  to read the Arch copy, f.e.
from a USB disk. And to prepare the partitions, f.e with gparted.

On your desktop you can f.e. mount a USB disk to /backup and do:

rsync -av --delete --delete-excluded \
         --exclude="/backup/**" --exclude="/sys/**" --exclude="/proc/**" \
         /   /backup

On destination you will have to modify /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/menu.lst and rc.conf.

Also with your livecd install Grub.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2010-10-25 22:52:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@Mektub, I think OP is looking for continuous syncing (beyond the first-time sync) both-ways.

I have something like that running, small custom scripts for rsync and unison. Still have to do package maintainance separately though, never bothered to script that.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-10-26 04:05:13

maxexcloo

Any chance you can paste the scripts?
Anything helps smile

#5 2010-10-26 05:16:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Like I said, very simple stuff. Some checking of common errors I make, then I stop some services, run rdiff-backup, run unison, and restart my services.

/home/conf/excludehome is a list of files within /home that I don't want to backup. Stuff like ~/.cache etc.

#!/bin/sh

if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
  echo "You must be a root user" 2>&1
  exit 1
elif [ $( pidof firefox ) ]; then
  echo "Firefox should not be running during backup" 2>&1
  exit 1
elif [ $( pidof pidgin ) ]; then
  echo "Pidgin should not be running during backup" 2>&1
  exit 1
else
  /etc/rc.d/crond stop
  /etc/rc.d/dovecot stop
  killall offlineimap
  killall runofflineimap
  su ngoonee -c "rdiff-backup -v3 --exclude-globbing-filelist /home/conf/excludehome --remote-schema 'ssh -p 1322 -C %s rdiff-backup --server' /home ngoonee@59.191.194.52::/home/backup/home"
  rdiff-backup -v3 --remote-schema 'ssh -p 1322 -C %s rdiff-backup --server' /etc root@59.191.194.52::/home/backup/etc
  su ngoonee -c "unison SSHHOME-ALL -auto -silent -batch"
  su ngoonee -c "unison SSH-ALL -auto -silent -batch"
  /etc/rc.d/dovecot start
  /etc/rc.d/crond start
  exit 0
fi

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-10-28 09:54:51

maxexcloo

Is there any way to not use Unison?
It never seems to work well for me...

#7 2010-10-28 14:29:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Check out the wiki for backup solutions. I like unison because it runs on both machines, so its faster at the 3-way diff.

Board footer