You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-28 15:20:06

Archie_Enthusiasm

SWAP partition (Hibernate Failure)[SOLVED]

Hi Folks,

My suspend to disk (Hibernate) is not working. When I boot up my pc, it starts processing. In meanwhile, I can see the output on my screen. At some point, it starts checking mounted filesystems

"Checking Filesystems"
/dev/sda1
dev/sda3
/dev/sda4

I do not know why this skips /dev/sda2 which is my swap partition actually.

After three or four lines, I can see from the output saying "Activating Swap". Does it mean that my swap partition is configured correctly or not?

There is one more thing. I use gnome. In gnome, when I open System Monitor (from the panel) > and under File Systems, I also can not see my swap partition which is /dev/sda2 while I can see all other partitions which are /,  /boot, /home.

Does it mean that the partition can not be mounted correctly.

I really appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-11-28 15:49:30)

#2 2010-10-28 15:45:19

ChoK

Re: SWAP partition (Hibernate Failure)[SOLVED]

try "cat /proc/swaps"

swap is special. it's not checked because the content is emptied at every boot, and it doesn't appear under system monitor because the content is useless for the user.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2010-10-28 17:03:45

gazj
Website

use the following command to see what swap space is used.  I have no swap by the way wink

gary@Lister ~ $ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1509       1044        465          0        111        546
-/+ buffers/cache:        386       1123
Swap:            0          0          0

#4 2010-10-28 21:40:01

Archie_Enthusiasm

Here is the output:

cat /proc/swaps
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda2                               partition    6297476    0    -1

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3013       1182       1830          0         58        532
-/+ buffers/cache:        591       2421
Swap:         6149          0       6149

It says that the swap is being used. But when I hibernate my pc, it correctly shuts itself down. But when I wake up the pc again, it says at the boot time that my / , /root, /boot mount file systems were not unmounted correctly and starts checking the filesystems (Some kind of journaling process starts). When it boots up, the stored session is no more there or existent anymore. It is like as I forced the system to shutdown and start it again (Just like as there were a system freeze and then I did shutdown the system by pressing the power button for more than 10 secs and then restarted). So I suspect that the system did not shutdown correctly even if there were no strange occurrence happening when I did the hibernate.

I hope someone can help me. If you need some more information about the configuration on my pc, please tell me command and I will post the output.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-10-28 21:41:58)

#5 2010-10-29 00:09:58

ChoK

Do you have the resume hook in mkinitcpio and resume=/dev/sda2 in your grub boot command?

Look in the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm … nd2disk.29

Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#6 2010-10-29 00:42:34

tomk
Forum Fellow

Your thread title is misleading, as it does not refer to the actual problem i.e. failure to hibernate. Please change it to something relevant.

swap is not a file system, and is therefore not treated like one.

#7 2010-10-29 22:02:00

Archie_Enthusiasm

thanks for the responses.

I followed your advices. adding resume to the grub menu did not help. Till now, I did not need to configure anything in grub menu list. It was working fine for example with ubuntu etc... I have about 6GB swap partition which is activated. The system can not correctly shuts itself down. I think arch just does not store the session onto the swap partition from which it will be resumed at next time.

#8 2010-10-29 23:21:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

If you are serious about using Arch, please take the time to learn about the distro, and in particular how it differs from other distros you may have used. If hibernation was working fine in Ubuntu, it can be configured to work fine in Arch also - the difference is that in Ubuntu the distro took care of the configuration, whereas in Arch you are required to do that. Our wiki has plenty of relevant information, as does Google.

Also, and as already requested above, please change the thread title. This is done by editing the first post.

#9 2010-10-30 09:28:42

Archie_Enthusiasm

Now I started thinking of deactivating swap since I really do not use it regularly. Standby (suspendtoram) works fine and consumes not that much power. Therefore I can go with that for short run. But I still want to know how it should be configured.

#10 2010-10-30 10:20:24

ChoK

As I said before you need to add the resume hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuild your kernel26.img afterwards
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm … esume_Hook

Picasso
Saint Exupéry

Board footer