You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-30 19:26:38

Joch

[SOLVED] How to configure XModMap?

Hello everyone,

I don't know why, but I'm having huge problems trying to understand how xkeymap works. I've read some explanations but it didn't make anything clearer.
It seems to me that the syntax is something like:

keycode X = Unshifted  Shifted  AltGraph  AltGraph-Shifted

I've tried editing my .xkeymaprc to make it work with accents but it didn't work.
I've also tried editing it through XKeyCaps, but I find it even more confusing, even after reading the manual...

None the configurations I've tried helped (most of them only messed with my keymap at a point where it got hard to write anything correctly), and since it seems I'm unable to figure this out by myself, I come here for help.

So if anyone would be kind enough to explain to me how I am supposed to do to make this work, so that I can use the accents the way I want (and not the way altgr-intl wants).

Thanks

Last edited by Joch (2010-10-30 19:57:59)

#2 2010-10-30 19:36:57

lagagnon
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to configure XModMap?

Have you read our wiki bit on XModMap?: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmodmap

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-10-30 19:54:10

olive

xmodmap -pke

print the current configuration in a way that could be read by xmodmap. Start from there, made some change and read the man page (in particular if you want to change how the modifier key work).

#4 2010-10-30 19:56:56

Joch

Yeah thanks, I don't know how come tat I didn't read that page (I swear I searched!)
In fact, I got there: Accents on US keyboards and didn't look for an other wiki page.

Anyway, solved now.

EDIT: I've noticed that it only works when I add

Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" "altgr-intl"

which I found weird since xmodmap -pke gives me the same output wether I have those lines or not (that's because I launched xmodmap with my .xmod file) but the modifiers are also the same with or without those lines, so I don't understand why it doens't work without them.
It's not very important but still, I'd like to understand  big_smile

Last edited by Joch (2010-10-31 10:27:29)

Board footer