You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-17 14:29:51

anamesa

Non-Latin characters in Sylpheed's subject when in gnome/kde

So, this is curious and i'm not expecting an answer, but anyway i post it: 

Sylpheed 0.9.5 [simple, not claws], works ok when opened in fluxbox or window maker; but when opened in gnome or kde, following curious behaviour shows:  in the "Subject" field, when I switch over to greek keyboard layout, it doesn't show greek characters but some not identified encoding, probably iso8859-2 or so.  This is mirrored everywhere where "Subject" field shows [ie in the headers on top of the message].  But then, if i type some greek characters in "Subject" field (which show weird there) and then copy-paste them in the message body (when composing a message), then they show allright as the greek characters i intended to type.  In the message body everything shows as it should be, ie greek, there's no problem there or when composing a message, only the subject (and only in kde & gnome).  Needless to say that this "subject" encoding behaviour also shows in message list, so most messages of mine cannot be identified via message list in sylpheed.

Every locale setting in Arch is correct, so please don't focus there. This doesn't happen in slackware 9.0 or 9.1 or in debian sid, so it's probably either a gnome/kde problem or a sylpheed problem.
I'm interested to know if there's someone else facing the same problem with sylpheed in arch [and probably with gtk+1.2 apps]. By this i don't neccessarily mean with greek but say with cyrillic or some other character set and encoding.

So, this is it.  Any clues?

#2 2003-10-17 15:42:15

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Non-Latin characters in Sylpheed's subject when in gnome/kde

Gnome (and maybe kde) have their own gtk settings... somewhere.  Check to make sure that gtk is has the proper character set configured (sounds like it might be the default one...).

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-10-17 16:49:07

anamesa

The funny thing is that bold font [when message unread in message list] shows OK, ie in greek, but when i click on unread message, it is assumed to have been read, so it changes over to medium [non bold] and the encoding changes as well into the one that is not greek and thus unreadable.  In ~/.sylpheed/sylpheedrc the fonts are:

widget_font=
message_font=-microsoft-sylfaenarm-medium-r-normal-*-*-160-*-*-p-*-iso8859-7
normal_font=-monotype-arial-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-7
bold_font=-monotype-arial-bold-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-7   
small_font=-monotype-arial-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-7

In /etc/gtk, for gtk1.2 apps the file refering to greek encoding [el] seems to be fine [exactly the same as in slackware 9.1].

#4 2003-10-20 12:50:19

anamesa

So, after upgrading KDE from 3.1-3 --> 3.1-4 yesterday, the problem with Sylpheed's fonts is resolved with KDE.  Remains with gnome 2.4.  So it was most probably a bug in KDE [and maybe continues to be a bug in gnome].

Board footer