You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-29 15:50:55

enn

Middle mouse button stopped working

Hello,

After a system upgrade which updated, among other things, xorg-xinput to 1.5.2-1, my middle mouse button, as well as the middle mouse button emulation with left mouse button + right mouse button, stopped working.

The middle mouse button is a scroll wheel. Scrolling up and down still works, just not pressing it. It actually can be pressed either left or right; only the left previously registered as a middle mouse click.

xev reports the left shift of the mouse wheel as button 6 and the right shift of the mouse wheel as button 7.

It doesn't seem to work in any app; I can't use it to paste, nor to enter autoscroll mode in Firefox.

From xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Mouse0"
  Driver "mouse"
  Option "Protocol" "auto"
  Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
  Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
  Option "EmulateWheelButton" "6"
EndSection

I've tried a number of things -- removing the EmulateWheelButton line, changing ZAxisMapping to just "4 5". None had any effect.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm completely lost without the ability to paste.

#2 2010-10-31 15:16:19

augegr

Re: Middle mouse button stopped working

Add this:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "whatever"
    MatchIsPointer "on"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (or any Xorg conf you want) and you will again have middle click emulation. I don't know if this will solve your problem regarding your actual middle button.

#3 2010-10-31 15:31:23

enn

That didn't affect the actual middle button behavior but the middle click emulation does work again as you said, which is all I really need. Thank you!

#4 2010-11-07 01:23:10

Götz

Thank you very much augegr!

I find that clicking the left and the right button at the same time to emulate the wheel click is much more comfortable. Since the input configuration changed from Hal, I couldn't find a solution to this problem.

Now the changes will require the xserver to be restarted, or is it possible to restart another program?

What I hear, I forget. What I say, I remember. What I do, I understand.  –Tao Te Ching/Laozi

Board footer