You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-23 14:41:04

Dr.U

blackbox and bbpager

Howdy, y'all,

I've been using blackbox 0.70 (installed via pacman) and like it pretty much. Then a couple of days ago I installed (again via pacman) bbpager 0.3.1 but I cannot get it to run. That is, it runs for about 10 seconds as a little grey block with another little grey block inside of it on the right edge of my screen, and then the X-server crashes and I see a message indicating that bbpager cannot connect to the window manager.

I tried opening a terminal and entering 'bbpager -w' with the same result (except that the X-server does not crash -- I just get the message in the terminal).

Has anyone managed to get this to work or am I just too noobie to pick my nose? roll

Maybe bbpager 0.3.1 doesn't work with blackbox 0.70??    :x

-- Dr.U

#2 2005-04-25 10:31:40

Dr.U

Re: blackbox and bbpager

Despite not really knowing much about how this all works and interacts with other components, I may have found the problem with bbpager 0.3.1 (mentioned in my previous post): I am using Arch 0.7 which has xorg, but I see that bbpager 0.3.1 from the repository depends on xfree86... :oops:

Regards,
  -- Dr.U
---------------------------------------------------------------
We made too many wrong mistakes. (Yogi Berra)

#3 2005-04-26 15:44:23

filoktetes

The bbpager 0.3.1 is over two years old, and only works with old versions of blackbox. To get bbpager you must install the cvs version.

Here's a PKGBUILD I made for that:

# Contributor: Robert Emil Berge <robert@rebi.no>
pkgname=bbpager-cvs
pkgver=0.4.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A pager for blackbox"
depends=('blackbox')
url="http://bbtools.sourceforge.net/download.php?file=6"

build() {
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bbtools co -P bbpager
  cd $startdir/src/bbpager
  ./mk.sh
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

But I found it quite "unstable". It didn't update the background correctly when I moved windows inside the pager. But, since it is cvs and that was a few days ago, it could be working fine now smile

#4 2005-04-27 19:51:05

Dr.U

Hi, reb!

Thank you very much for the PKGBUILD! I've never tried one out because until now I've not found any that interested me very much. But now is the time for me to give it a run. I'll give yours a try in the next few days.  big_smile

Ciao,
  -- Dr.U

#5 2005-04-27 20:36:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

you may want to check out fbpager

#6 2005-04-28 17:02:05

filoktetes

I tried the fbpager, now. It seems like a really nice pager, but after just trying it quickly, it doesn't do anything at all in blackbox sad

I tried the bbpager-cvs again today, too, but now it wouldn't compile. I suggest waiting a few days before trying it out...or if you try and it does compile, please tell me smile

#7 2005-04-28 19:45:15

Dr.U

Thanks for the info, reb. If it compiles when I have time to try it I'll let you know.

Regards,
  -- Dr.U

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I was so ugly my mother used to feed me with a sling shot.
-- Rodney Dangerfield

Board footer