You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-01 18:49:31

aardwolf

Winter time - clock always 20 minutes off

Hi,

Twice a year, the time changes here, and in october the time changes to winter time. Apparently my Archlinux does that automatically, how nice of it.

However, EVERY time, so I go through this shit twice a year, the week or two weeks after such a time change, my computer is always +/- 20 minutes off when I reboot it.

For example:

Today I booted up my computer at 7:45PM, and the time it displayed was 7:21PM.

You see? The error is not one hour, it is something near 20 minutes.

So I use "date -s" to set it to the actual date. And for the coming week or so I'll have to do that every time after I reboot again, because tomorrow when I reboot, the day after that, and so on, it'll always do this again. And after a week or two it'll suddenly stop happening.

I'd like to ask two things:

-How do I fix this, I find this very annoying and NEVER want to see this again.
-Why does it happen? Why 20 minutes? What kind of process could be programmed to do something confusing to the clock involving a time of around 20 minutes?? It could be Archlinux itself, or KDE 3.5, or something else, I haven't got a clue.

Please help, I'm tired of this shit twice a year.

Windows doesn't do this by the way, so don't blame my hardware.

#2 2010-11-01 19:05:20

skunktrader

Re: Winter time - clock always 20 minutes off

#3 2010-11-01 19:07:02

mangust

Hi,

have you compared the outputs of ``hwclock -r`` and ``date``? Assuming, the hardware clock is  write, try sync your system clock with it.

By the way, it's only few days we've changed the time... Maybe, there is an app in KDE, that synchronise the time (I don't know for sure, as I'm not a KDE user).

"I hate computers, why didn't I become a street musician?" - phrakture

#4 2010-11-01 19:16:55

aardwolf

It was the hwclock. So it kind of was my hardware to blame anyway.

I did "hwclock --systohc" and hopefully that fixed it forever.

Sorry if my post sounded a bit frustrated, it's just because it was such an annoying problem.

It still remains a problem with weird behaviour: on a day where the time changes, it does it perfectly when booting that morning. The next +/- 14 days, it's skewed every morning. Then it's stabilized again.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by aardwolf (2010-11-01 19:18:21)

#5 2010-11-01 19:51:43

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You could always use NTP if you're not already, nice to keep your clock in sync either way - and it won't mess up DST adaptations.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2010-11-01 19:55:25

mangust

According to your descriptions, I suggest, you look for services, that are responsible for time in your DE. It's not the CMOS battery problem, definitely, because the time after skewing stabilizes.

"I hate computers, why didn't I become a street musician?" - phrakture

Board footer