You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-02 15:58:56

Exodus

KDE 4.5 apps looking ugly

After upgrading from kde 4.4.x to kde 4.5.x my kde apps started looking ugly.
I'm only using kdebase-runtime.
Also tried with a new user(no config files) - same thing.
One thing i noticed is that /usr/lib/kde4/plugins/style/oxygen.so that was previously provided by kdebase-runtime is now provided by kdebase-workspace, and that it now depends on /usr/lib/liboxygenstyle.so.4

Versions:
kdebase-runtime 4.5.2-2
kdelibs 4.5.2-2

Screenshoot:
tNjBxYQ

Nothing useful from the applications output... Now if someone could just point me in the right direction i would appreciate it big_smile.
Btw can anyone reproduce this?

#2 2010-11-02 16:04:16

scio

Re: KDE 4.5 apps looking ugly

Exodus wrote:

One thing i noticed is that /usr/lib/kde4/plugins/style/oxygen.so that was previously provided by kdebase-runtime is now provided by kdebase-workspace, and that it now depends on /usr/lib/liboxygenstyle.so.4

I think you answered your own question, did you try installing kdebase-workspace?

#3 2010-11-02 17:01:55

Exodus

Thats just too of a bloat solution for me so i was/am hoping for another solution.
I tried extracting just the oxygenstyle libs, and that fixed the look for most of the "simple" kde apps but bigger ones like amarok still look strange.
I'm really just looking for information why would(or did) kde do such a thing.
And if thats the case: shouldn't we have kdebase-workspace as a dependency for most of the kde apps?

#4 2010-11-02 18:07:11

Teho

Exodus wrote:

And if thats the case: shouldn't we have kdebase-workspace as a dependency for most of the kde apps?

Well that would make using KDE apps outside of KDE pretty much impossible. As far as I know KDE apps follow Qt themes, I think you can change the those in Qt settings or KDE system settings? I guess you could compile Oxygen theme from AUR or use QtCurve or somethink if those are part of some bigger package in Arch repos.

Last edited by Teho (2010-11-02 18:07:32)

#5 2010-11-02 21:52:57

Exodus

Teho wrote:

Well that would make using KDE apps outside of KDE pretty much impossible.

This way the application looks broken, and i'm guessing that not only the style libs are in question.

Teho wrote:

As far as I know KDE apps follow Qt themes, I think you can change the those in Qt settings or KDE system settings

Oxygen style libs are not even present on the system without kdebase-workspace.
And i don't even know how would i change kde system settings without installing the whole kde.

I guess you could compile Oxygen theme from AUR

We don't have the oxygen style in AUR. I would need to compile the whole kdebase-workspace and extract it from there - as I did with the binary package.

But scratch all that.

I accidentally found something that looks like to be a similar problem link.
After running kbuildsycoca4 --noincrimental oxygen doesn't even appear with kdebase-workspace installed - I'm guessing that something left in the cache from 4.4.x let me use the oxygen style.
But i guess i should head upstream as this doesn't look like an arch-related problem to me anymore...

Could someone just try to reproduce this? Steps to reproduce:

pacman -Sy kdelibs kdebase-runtime
pacman -Sd kdebase-workspace
useradd -m newuser
passwd newuser
# Log into X with the new user, and try starting khelpcenter for example

Thanks.

#6 2010-11-02 23:13:44

Teho

Exodus wrote:
Teho wrote:

Well that would make using KDE apps outside of KDE pretty much impossible.

This way the application looks broken, and i'm guessing that not only the style libs are in question.

Well I meant the possibility that one uses KDE app in, for example Gnome enviroment, pulling entire kdebase-workspace isn't needed for apps to work, but it contains KDE spesific stuff like Oxygen Qt-theme which obviosly isn't needed in that kind of case. But yeah I guess I missed you point in the beginning.

Board footer