You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-01 08:34:46

kaszak696

[Solved] KDE cannot be starded as a normal user

Hi there.

I decided to fix my Arch i abandoned couple a months ago (bad me!). After the entire system update i happily rebooted, started kdm, logged in on my user account and kdm suddenly restarts itself. It happens every time i try to log in on any user account. Root account works normally, but i don't want to use it for everyday activity tongue I've looked into logs and whatever, found nothing useful. Removed .kde4 from home dir, still nothing. i've run out of ideas now, what can be preventing me from enjoing my linux? sad

Thanks for help.

Last edited by kaszak696 (2010-11-01 10:32:12)

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#2 2010-11-01 09:35:31

qiii2006

Re: [Solved] KDE cannot be starded as a normal user

do these normal users have correct shell?

Kde Sc 4.6

#3 2010-11-01 09:43:09

ChoK

did you look in ~/.xsession-errors ? it smells like a dbus/console-kit/policykit problem if root works.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#4 2010-11-01 10:31:50

kaszak696

ChoK wrote:

did you look in ~/.xsession-errors ? it smells like a dbus/console-kit/policykit problem if root works.

I've found there some errors regarding missing files in my home directory. Using google i tried recreating them, but nothing worked, so i kinda rage-deleted all config files in ~ and kde suddenly started working. Looks like it was just silly problem with outdated configs, sorry for wasting your time.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#5 2010-11-02 12:25:37

ChoK

It's not a waste of time, other people will search through the forum with this kind of problem and hopefully your thread will point them in the correct direction.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#6 2010-11-03 02:22:11

dragonhawk360

ChoK wrote:

It's not a waste of time, other people will search through the forum with this kind of problem and hopefully your thread will point them in the correct direction.

He's right.  I had a similar issue a while back and it took me much longer to solve on my own, than it did for the people who read my post.  Marking as solved is always helpful.

Arch i686 + KDE4
"I Write Programs, Not Excuses" - Panic! at the Kernel

Board footer