You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-03 03:35:41

silverbird

pacman -S xorg missing files

This is my first Arch installation, I have got to the point, following the wiki tutorial, of installing xorg (so I have successfully installed sudo and python etc).

When I tried to install xorg, there were maybe 7 or 8 files that were missing. Of the 34MB, 32MB downloaded successfully but some did not, and the messag was file missing. When I tried to repeat the download it listed ony 2MB needed but still could not find the missing files.

I will try other repositories (I have only uncommented the first one kernel.org for now) but I would have thought that if the download was possible for the majority of files required for xorg, then all the dependencies would be there in that repository. (I am not at the Arch installation right now so cannot try other options, but even if it works on another repository, I would like to understand what is going wrong.)

#2 2010-11-03 03:39:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: pacman -S xorg missing files

Have you done a full system update first?

#3 2010-11-03 07:19:51

silverbird

I used pacman -Sy the first time I loaded a package but not -Syy or -Syu
I tried those two just now and got 'failed retrieving file core.db.tar.gz' etc

Then I edited the mirrorlist and put # in front of kernal.org and used a site in Australia (ftp and http).

I got the same response - no address record.

Then I tried pacman -S xorg again, which showed I needed to download 1.8MB of files, but then got the no address record message.

I can ping google, so the internet connection is there.

Last edited by silverbird (2010-11-03 07:20:16)

#4 2010-11-03 07:34:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Try using the aarnet.edu.au mirror and running -Syu

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2010-11-03 07:41:38

oupsemma

I had the same problem last week when installing Arch on another partition; I was stuck in Xorg installation , like you, trying different mirrors with no succes.

I ended up installing powerpill: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Powerpill
# pacman -S powerpill perl-crypt-ssleay
as I was able to download it with pacman, and through powerpill could install Xorg packages; only it took many attempts to get all the packages!

But yesterday I did another installation, using the kernel.org mirror only, and things went flawlessly; no problem with pacman at all.

#6 2010-11-03 11:33:20

silverbird

I tried the australian aarnet repository, but I had the same results. And I couldn't install anything a that time, nothing worked.

I have re-installed Arch, removing any usb drives or other partitions, at first I had the same problem, with pacman not working but on the 2nd re-install it worked ok. I used powerpill and have xorg working now, the next step is the desktop.

But I don't know what caused the problem nor whether it will occur again.

Board footer