You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-29 01:27:24

DeusExLinux

PPP waiting forever (SOLVED)

I have a modem that works (I've used it many times before).  After bringing my laptop to work (I work at a school system), and using my wifi card to connect (it uses the Atheros chipset, and I use madwifi, fetched the latest sources from cvs..), after I bring my laptop to my wonderful dial-up connection it runs at the speed of dirt.

After I connect, and try to load any webpage or connect to anything, it waits about 12 seconds before resolving anything.  It really annoys me, and kinda makes my computer worthless to browse the internet as I have to wait about 40 seconds before I get ONE webpage.

I know it's not my ISP, as on the same computer, I boot into mepis (haven't gotten around to deleting the partition and I don't want to bother to reset up Arch), it works fine.

I don't want to have to reboot when I want to get online, or.. shudder... use the other computer here..... 

Any advice/questions are more than welcome...

Thanks guys!

#2 2005-04-29 11:06:45

Kern

Re: PPP waiting forever (SOLVED)

I boot into mepis <snip> it works fine

have you compared your mepis configs with the Arch ones to check for any differences, rc.conf / resolv.conf etc ?  or compared the output of ifconfig on both ?

#3 2005-04-29 11:30:55

i3839

Yep, looks like a DNS problem, so checking /etc/resolv.conf is your best bet (you can make it a symlink pointing to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf if you want to use the ones which are given to pppd).

#4 2005-04-29 19:55:25

DeusExLinux

Thanks so much!!!!!

Do you think you could do a stupid newb a favor and explain why the dns changed, and what exactly that does?....  was it looking on the wrong network (the one at work) for the hostname, which was causing it to timeout, then go to the second one in the list (my PPP connection)?

#5 2005-04-29 20:33:15

i3839

I think it was overwritten by dhcpd when you connected with the wireless card. Most likely the wireless router is also a DNS server (at least behaving like a proxy) and gave a DNS server which doesn't work when hooked up by ppp.

Next time you connect with the wireless card check if the symlink is still there or if it's gone (checking the content of the file may be interesting too). If it is gone then making /etc/resolv.conf a hardlink to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf should fix it forever, assuming that the nameservers provided by both dhcp and pppd are always good.

You could consider using dnsmasq too, it's a small DNS proxy and cache server (and also a dhcp server, but only if you configure it so).

#6 2005-04-29 20:42:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

there's also a flag you can pass to dhcp which will tell it not to overwrite resolv.conf - can't recall it, but it's in "man dhcpcd"

#7 2005-04-29 21:15:54

i3839

Thing is, when connecting with wireless you probably want dhcpd to provide the best nameservers. Because if dhcpd would leave resolv.conf alone, then he may have the reverse problem: that the DNS is crap when connected via wireless, as then it's still using the nameservers from pppd.

Of course not using the resolv.conf's genereated by either pppd or dhcpd and using fixed, manually chosen dns servers is another solution.

#8 2005-04-30 18:15:14

DeusExLinux

All good choices... thanks for the advice... I'll check the symbolic link next time I'm connected there, and look into dnsmasq.  Thanks for all the help guys, you've been a massive help!

One of the greatest about Arch is the help here, thanks again.

Board footer