You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-07 19:15:36

Kodama

annoying brightness bug with smartdimmer/nvidia-bl in fullscreen

hi...for quite some time now I have this very annoying brightness bug when going fullscreen.

I've been using openbox and/or awesome and managed the brightness of my laptop (nvidia 8400M GT) with smartdimmer (nvclock package). I configured the Fn keys of my sony laptop in the rc.lua or the openbox rc...and everything worked fine. I also added the line "smartdimmer -s 35" in my .xinitrc to have a value that I like right from the beginning.

But a few months ago I noticed that when I watch a flash movie on youtube (or any other site) and click on fullscreen the brightness level goes up 100%. This happens also with other apps like mplayer, vlc, etc...
whenever I go fullscreen the brightness value goes up 100%.

At first I thought it may have something to do with smartdimmer. So I tried gnome in combination with nvidia-bl. And I was happy to see that only adding "nvidia_bl" to the modules section of my rc.conf and "acpi_backlight=vendor" to the kernel line activatet my Fn keys for brightness and it works just like with volume. (no xbindkeys or anything necessary)

But still the problem remains. Goind fullscreen in a flash movie or a dvd turns brightness up 100%.

This happens with games also. No matter if it's a windows game I run under wine or a linux game. Even if it has no 3D or anything. Brightness goes up 100% in fullscreen. When I change brightness with the Fn keys during a game the screen goes darker...but as soon as that little window in the middle with the brightness bar disabears brightnes goes back up 100%.

It seems to be an upstream problem because I tested it with Ubuntu 10.10 with the same results.

Any help here?

Plus I have some questions about nvidia-bl. How can I set a value throught console? (with smartdimmer it was "smartdimmer -s 35" for example...how does it work with nvidia-bl?)
And is there a way that gnome can save the last brithness value so it won't reboot with 100% of brightness again?
Plus when booting with 100% brightness nvidia-bl doesn't do anything during the first 50% of reduction...only in the last 50% the screen gets darker. Any help on this?

Thanks in advance
Andreas

P.S. I've also filed a bug report...but since it was my first one it's not a very good one; https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19943 (needless to say that xorg, kernel, driver have all been updated by now)

Last edited by Kodama (2010-11-07 19:16:26)

Board footer