You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-05 22:38:36

rekahsoft
Website

Screen blanking at random

Hi all, i am stumped on a issue and was hoping for a little helping hand. I restarted my computer yesterday and everything booted normally...X booted i logged in and used my computer/workstation as i normally would. Then at random my screen blanks out..soon after that the computer freezes up completely (i access the computer through ssh even after the screen has gone blank and it works until a minute or 2 later when the system completely crasses/freezes). Now if instead of booting to init 5 (X) i boot to init 3 the screen still will go blank at random but the computer seems to run and not crash like it did when X was running.

note: the screen went blank (while in init 3) and is not frozen 2.5h after boot (still testing but seems to be fine - the screen being off (the monitor doesn't detect and video from the computer (via DVI))). Thanks so much for your help!

#2 2010-11-06 20:55:16

rekahsoft
Website

Re: Screen blanking at random

alright an update and a few notes...i was using the latest nvidia propirary driver from the repos but then tried nvidia-beta from the AUR..same issue..if in init 3 the screens will still blank but the system wont completely freeze (can use it for ssh like before for hours and hours smile..in init 5 everything works fine for 10 min or so then the screens blank and a few minutes later the machine completely freezes and needs to be shutdown/restarted using the physical switch. I think i am going to try the neauvau driver..idk if it is hardware or software yet..anyone have any ideas?

#3 2010-11-06 21:01:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

If it only freezes when running X, you might want to look at the tail of your Xorg log...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2010-11-08 17:17:31

rekahsoft
Website

jasonwryan: sorry i acceidentally wrote a report instead of replying to the thread :S..i have checked by Xorg logs and nothing..i personally am thinking its the video card...my logic being that i have tried 3 different driver (nvidia-beta (from AUR) nvidia and vesa) with the same bug occuring with each driver..when in init 5 the bug shows up by the screen blanking and then eventially freezing...in init 3 the bug shows up by the screen blanking but no freeze like in init 5...:( anyone? i can post some logs but i haven't seen anything in them that jumps out :S

Board footer