You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-07 19:56:17

sanchdaniel

Cannot log-in through Gnome/gdm

I'm building my first Arch box, and it's been a learning experience. I've had trouble getting asla and X11 to work, but I figured it out with some searching, it was fun! Now I'm really stuck though, I can't login through the Gnome/gdm login screen. I've set it up so I go directly into the login screen, btw. I see my user name in the list of users, but when I type in my password it tells me its incorrect. I thought that maybe I typed in a wrong password, but I can go into console mode and login just fine. Any suggestions? I hate posting in forms, when ever possible, but I just don't know what else to do.

Edit: I was able to go into /etc/gdm/custom.conf, using ubuntu, and edit it to log me in automaticly, but I don't like the idea of leaving my computer open to any one around the house.

Edit: I'm trying to use root, through the terminal inside gnome, but the password does not work.

Last edited by sanchdaniel (2010-11-07 20:44:41)

#2 2010-11-08 17:55:31

shulamy

Re: Cannot log-in through Gnome/gdm

maybe the language is wrong?

you can lock the screensaver as an alternative.

ezik

#3 2010-11-08 22:28:36

sanchdaniel

Re: Cannot log-in through Gnome/gdm

Nope, the language is good, US english. It seems to be a problem with X11, since I get the same results when trying to enter root from a terminal opened up in X11 only. Any other ideas?

Edit: Found this page http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209788
I'll be giving it a try when I get home.

Edit: Got home and read the page again. Figured out this is not what I am looking for, the post was about changing a password for root in the console with no GUI. It's sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Last edited by sanchdaniel (2010-11-09 07:57:41)

Board footer