You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-28 18:45:37

mdv

PKGBUILDs and binary packages searching

I am a little bit amazed that there is no simple way of finding a package. Let's say I'm looking for gnomad2. I need to look for it in different places; first of all I went to standard repository, then I went to AUR, finally I found it in TUR. I just think it would be a little bit easier I there was a search system of all packages.

#2 2005-04-28 18:49:18

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: PKGBUILDs and binary packages searching

pacman -Ss gnomad

#3 2005-04-30 09:41:15

swiergot

Besides, TUR is set to be closed as far as I know. The future is AUR and that's where everyone should upload his packages. That's why AUR has been created - to have all packages in one place.

#4 2005-04-30 10:02:30

miqorz

The TUR is being closed? What the fuck?

I for one refuse to use the AUR due to the pure idiocy of the PKGBUILDs I've seen posted around here. I think the TUR should remain open.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#5 2005-04-30 15:45:28

swiergot

miqorz wrote:

The TUR is being closed? What the fuck?

Quoting from tur-users mailing list:

Paul Mattal: "I *think* I recall some discussions that concluded that everything you could to in TUR you could do in AUR, so maintaining two systems wouldn't make sense, and I don't recall hearing many persuasive counterpoints at the time -- which isn't to say that there aren't any."

Jason Chu: "Every discussion that I've contributed to, I've said that the TURs will be replaced with AUR.  The original TUR system couldn't be extended to support the features of AUR without a full rewrite.  With the full rewrite, we also changed the name: AUR."

miqorz wrote:

I for one refuse to use the AUR due to the pure idiocy of the PKGBUILDs I've seen posted around here. I think the TUR should remain open.

See above. Packages that are worth it are maintained by TUs and released in the AUR Community repo.

#6 2005-04-30 16:01:34

Gullible Jones

There's a reason that some are labeled "unmaintained".

#7 2005-04-30 18:14:50

lanrat

old ftp incoming + old private repos  + new and requested packages forum pkgbuilds = unsupported
tur = community
main repos = current + extra + unstable

aur = community + unsupported
official repos = main repos + testing

all repos = aur + official repos

Note1: unsupported contains only PKGBUILDS and other files needed for building a given package. You can't use pacman for installing unsupported packages. First you need to use ABS to build the package (also it should be now possible to build and install package with srcpac + some additional scripts)

Note2: AUR is very fresh and not all packages have been moved there. Also not all private repo maintainers moved all of their packages to AUR.

Note3: Some of the packages can change repos during the conversion process (depends for example on TU's decision) or they can be abadoned.

Note4: (for AUR experts / TU / package maintainers) Feel free to modify the above equations :-)

Board footer