You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-09 19:44:13

RufusD

Is there a way to combine Media Center and Nettop?

Hi there!
I just ordered a mini-ITX mainboard including all the necessary components to set up a file server/media center combination. Now I realized I'll hardly need my real desktop computer. So to keep my electricity bill down I guess I'll shift to the new nettop-like thing for my daily computing needs. The question arising is:

Is there any way to have a smooth media center UI for mp3/dvd/CD playback, but also have the option of running an ordinary desktop environment for more serious stuff? I don't know anything about xbmc, mythtv and the likes. I assume something like "have the user decide from kdm whether to run xbmc or kde" would work, but this makes for some very un-seamless switching between media playback and serious stuff. Is there some better way? I'd prefer running like xbmc, cause I expect it to boot faster than kde4, but I may be wrong...

Any ideas anybody?
Best wishes,

Rufus

#2 2010-11-10 03:40:30

ctarwater

Re: Is there a way to combine Media Center and Nettop?

You can run xbmc in full-screen mode and set it to start at boot.

I have openbox running on mine but you could just as easily use kde or gnome. When xbmc starts full-screen there is no border so you can't tell that its really just an app running over a "normal" WM/DM.   If you need to minimize it you can just hit the \ button which brings it to "windowed" mode where you can move the window, minimize it, etc.

Board footer