You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-05 14:48:19

csslayer

[SOLVED] Hibernate and resume with lock of mouse and keyboard

I've changed to archlinux recently from fedora. And I found out that archlinux is quiet more suitable for me. But since I was using fedora, my laptop keyboard and touchpad cannot be used after hibernate. Today I tried tuxonice and uswsusp and success in resume. If I hibernate in X, I can use the mouse (I've another mouse instead of touchpad), in console, what can I do is to turn off. I thought I set the mkinitcpio.conf rightly and I'm using pm-util to suspend/hibernate. I think there must be something can be set in /etc/pm/ to reactive the keyboard and touchpad. After google a lot, I only get some bug reports which don't mention the key point.

What should I do to active the keyboard and touchpad?
Thanks

Last edited by csslayer (2009-03-06 05:18:24)

#2 2009-03-05 20:18:10

anrxc
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Hibernate and resume with lock of mouse and keyboard

If I hibernate in X, I can use the mouse (I've another mouse instead of touchpad), in console, what can I do is to turn off.

You don't make much sense, but this hook might help you (it should be executable).

/etc/pm/sleep.d/70input-reset

#!/bin/sh
# 
# Reload the AT keyboard interface.

case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
                echo -n "i8042" > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/i8042/unbind
                ;;
        thaw|resume)
                echo -n "i8042" > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/i8042/bind
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
esac

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2009-03-06 03:55:48

csslayer

Thanks very much!
It works on my keyboard, and do you know what can I do about the touchpad? Though I have an other mouse to use.

Update:
It's quite strange.
After use

echo "i8042" > unbind ;echo "i8042" >bind

manually, touchpad works.

Last edited by csslayer (2009-03-06 05:17:40)

#4 2009-05-09 16:00:04

kgas

Thanks,  anrxc . In GNOME keyboard issue after resume got solved.

#5 2009-05-09 18:00:27

anrxc
Website

I'm glad this helps, it was a "solution" for me too for a while. But the real problem is with evdev, and with newer X.org there are just too many drawbacks to keep doing it like this (you loose keymaps for instance).
They keep reporting it as fixed but X still says that device has changed and disables it, you can read all about it in the bug report http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14046  For now I patch evdev to stop messing with my keyboard, this whole automation crap is...  bah, never mind.

#6 2010-11-09 01:55:00

manzdagratiano

I am going to be shamefully reviving this old thread, since I was now faced with the same problem on my Dell Vostro V13 - apparently this has surfaced again - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … +bug/59867

The i8042 bind/unbind trick did not work for me, so I modified anxrc's script to unload/reload the psmouse module:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Reload the psmouse module

case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
                rmmod psmouse
                ;;
        thaw|resume)
                modprobe psmouse
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
esac

I named the script `71input-reset'  instead because the number 70 appeared to be taken - this was on Ubuntu - on Arch 70 is still up for grabs at least for my install. And it works!

Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

#7 2010-11-10 03:59:12

anrxc
Website

My TravelMate freezes on suspend because of the psmouse module. Not the same problem that you have, but the solution is the same I imagine. In /etc/pm/config.d/config insert the following (if you don't have the file simply create it):
SUSPEND_MODULES="psmouse"

Module will be removed prior to sleep, and loaded when you wake it up.

Board footer