You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-04 20:41:51

MW

kino, firewire problems

I'm having quite a difficult time to get my DV camera going on Kino with firewire, it worked fine last year, but it seems there has been an API/driver update to the kernel and now I'm lost. I have searched the forums but it seems all the posts I can find is very old and not relevant any more.

The problem:
I cannot seem to get my DV camera to work.
dmesg:

firewire_ohci: isochronous cycle inconsistent                                                                                                                                               
firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID 00804580c149a964, S100                                                                                                                             
firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5                                                                                                                               
fuse init (API version 7.14)                                                                                                                                                               
firewire_core: skipped bus generations, destroying all nodes                                                                                                                               
firewire_core: rediscovered device fw0                                                                                                                                                     
firewire_core: giving up on config rom for node id ffc0                                                                                                                                     
firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID 00804580c149a964, S100                                                                                                                             
etc.

Of course with this dmesg output nothing will be working:

dvgrab                                                                                                                                                                     
rom1394_1 warning: read failed: 0x0000fffff0000414                                                                                                                                         
error reading config rom directory for node 1                                                                                                                                               
Error: no camera exists

lscpi:

04:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev 46)

lsmod:

firewire_ohci          23515  0                                                                                                                                                             
firewire_core          44810  1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t               1297  1 firewire_core

In the past Kino used to use /dev/raw1394, but I see this node is not even created any more.
It seems I have missed something, any advice?

#2 2010-10-05 08:52:46

MW

Re: kino, firewire problems

No one here using Kino and a DV Camera?

#3 2010-10-07 10:23:31

MW

It seems that firewire has been horribly broken since 2008. At this stage it is a hit and run situation, I got the camera to work spontaneously but after I switched it off and tried again I had the same problem all over again.

I still have a bit of troubleshooting to do to see if I can replicate or narrow down what exactly causes the problem.

#4 2010-10-29 17:06:25

kel_p

Bump!

Exact same issue.
It worked in the past but have not been able to capture through fw for a very long time using Arch.
Very frustrated and have no clue as to how to fix this.

I have been searching Arch's Wiki but there is no info about setting up firewire, or am I blind?

#5 2010-11-11 17:38:50

na12

I have same problem.
I think with kernel 2.6.36 coming new drivers,and it will be fixed.

#6 2018-06-09 22:05:03

Amphitryon

As of 2018 and Linux  4.17.0-1-ARCH this still seems not to be fixed, at least not completely.  For me, lspci -v gives:

06:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire Controller
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    Memory at f7c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
    I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
    Capabilities: [98] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
    Capabilities: [130] Device Serial Number 00-11-06-ff-ff-00-00-09
    Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
    Kernel modules: firewire_ohci

and am connecting a Canon MV790.  Sometimes dvgrab reports that no camera is available and checking the journal shows period "rediscovering fw0" messages.  One time I did get it working, quite bizarrely trying to cat from a pty into a file (as a quick way of pasting text into a file) gave "device or resource busy".

#7 2018-06-09 22:08:57

V1del
Forum Moderator

It is very unlikely that you are actually running into the exact same issue 8 years later.

If you want this discussed, open a new thread and describe the problems on your system in more detail, and make sure you use [ code ] tags when pasting outputs

Don't necrobump.

Closing.

Board footer