You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-08 07:36:11

azurepancake

Video Card Fan Loud When Starting X

I've recently built a new system with a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT display adapter and I am now attempting to setup Arch. Everything has gone well, but I've noticed something a little peculiar. When I start up X (using xterm OR fluxbox) my video cards fan roars like a jet-engine.

Following the Beginners Guide, I installed xorg, mesa, and the nvidia drivers:

pacman -S xorg
pacman -S mesa
pacman -S nvidia

I then had nvidia-xconfig create and configure my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I then setup hot plugging and attempted to start xterm:

nvidia-xconfig
depmod -a
startx

Everything works correctly, but that fan is very loud. I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about? I also installed fluxbox, thinking that perhaps the loud fan had something with xterm it's self. Same loud fan.

If anyone can either assure me that my card is okay, or perhaps that there is something wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

#2 2010-11-08 08:23:12

TigTex

Re: Video Card Fan Loud When Starting X

How hot is your card running?

Try:

nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp -t

or

nvidia-smi -a

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#3 2010-11-08 19:06:08

azurepancake

Okay, when I first boot into Arch and X hasn't yet been executed, here are basic GPU stats:

temp: 62C
fan speed: 47%

If I run the xterm .xinitrc:

temp: 62C
fan speed: 58%

And if I run fluxbox:

temp: 63C (Has now dropped to 60C with Firefox running!)
fan: 69% (But now it has dropped to 39%!)

So, perhaps everything is okay with the system. Does the above sound like average GPU stats?

Thanks so much for your help.

#4 2010-11-08 19:13:04

TigTex

Looks like your gpu is running at 3D clocks instead of 2D clocks because +60ºC isn't a normal temperature for that card in idle... Or you have some other problem (bad thermal paste? a lot of dust?).
Does nvidia-settings shows that your pc is running with 2D clocks?

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#5 2010-11-08 19:39:05

lagagnon
Website

That sort of card should idle at about 42-46 degC, so as TigTex says, your video card fan is not doing its job or the thermal paste is insufficient/broken down, or the connection between fan and GPU die is loose. If your fan is making lots of noise it probably also needs to be replaced. Some video card fans are notorious for being very noisy when they start to die.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#6 2010-11-11 18:59:12

azurepancake

Thanks for all the information.

This particular card I've had for about 2 months, purchased brand new. The rest of the machine's hardware is about a month old. The system is very clean, with little-to-no dust. Honestly, the card really isn't extremely loud, but since I have the side of the case off at the moment, it's open side is pointing towards me, I can hear everything that goes on inside pretty well, and also can tell when the card's fan is speeding up. It's just peculiar to me that the fan would speed up to this speed just for loading X.

I ran nvidia-settings from X, and here is the clock speed information:

Under the 'PowerMizer' settings:

Graphics Clock: 550 Mhz
Memory Clock: 900 Mhz
Processor Clock: 1375 Mhz

Performance Level: 0
Performance Mode: Maximum Performance

I hope this is the info you we're looking for, if not lemme know and I'll try to get you the right information. I couldn't find any settings in the nvidia-settings tool with options for 2d and 3d clocks.

I also have Windows installed on this machine. I think I may compare and contrast the temperature between the two operating systems to help me pin down if it's a problem with the hardware or not.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by azurepancake (2010-11-11 19:11:41)

#7 2010-11-11 19:10:08

azurepancake

I'd like to update that I've examined the GPU settings from Windows XP Pro using Nvidia's 'nTune' tool and it reports that the GPU temperature is 62c. So, with this information I take that it may be an issue with the cards hardware (fan, thermal paste, etc)?

#8 2010-11-12 00:42:38

lagagnon
Website

azurepancake wrote:

So, with this information I take that it may be an issue with the cards hardware (fan, thermal paste, etc)?

As I've already said above if that is its temperature at idle (ie without high use graphics apps running) the it is too high so you probably have a hardware fault -fan not working or fan heat sink to GPU die loose or thermal paste dried out.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#9 2010-11-12 18:05:22

azurepancake

Got'cha, sorry for making you repeat your self. Thank you for all your help!

Board footer