You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-13 02:46:06

No

Can't install hwd, can't get startx, gdm, etc to work. [SOLVED]

I had this problem and I posted it at LinuxQuestions. Then I decided that it would probably be better posting it at the Arch forums instead.

Here is the problem(s)

I installed Arch with the dual netinstall and choose x86_64

I installed lxde, gdm/gnome

I also made sure this was done:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-keyboard

I believe it all installed correctly.

I have an Nvidia GT 220, so I:

pacman -S nvidia

This also went well. I can run nvidia-xconfig and it backs up the file fine.

Ok these are the errors I am getting when I try to install pacman -S hwd

error: 'hwd' : Could not find or read package

When I try to run gdm I get:

(gdm-binary:1677):Warning **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system-bus/socket: No such file or directory

When I try to startx:

/etc/X11/xinitrc: line 48:xterm: Command not found
/etc/X11/xinitrc: line 50: exec: xterm: Command not found
/etc/X11/xinitrc: line 46: twm: Command not found
waiting for xserver to shutdown

Ok I am a little lost. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I install hwd and then run hwd -xa like I am suppose to?

Edit: I have an AMDx2 64bit Compaq Presario SR5123WM with an PCI-E Nvidia GT 200. 4GB of ram. CPU is upgraded to a 4400+

Last edited by No (2010-11-13 14:27:50)

#2 2010-11-13 02:55:25

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Can't install hwd, can't get startx, gdm, etc to work. [SOLVED]

that happens when you actually don't follow our documentation.

1) you didn't installed right xorg. pacman -S xorg
2) hwd is dead stop trying to use it
3) you don't have to create any xorg.conf, just reboot after nvidia installing
4) start dbus

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-11-13 03:08:12

No

Yeah, I know. I should have read up on it, lol.

I really wanted to see how far I could get and I did pretty well considering. Let me see if I can save this. If not no big deal to reinstall and do it the right way smile Thanks for the info.

#4 2010-11-13 03:46:00

No

Well I am mostly there. I still can't get gdm to start but I made it far enough that I can now get startx to work and I installed Firefox. Which means I can actually trouble shoot this (and read the documentation,) easily in Arch.

Edit: Also I learn better from hands on then I do from reading. All that I have done now, including getting a little more familiar with Pacman, will stay with me. I learn from things not working or from me messing them up I guess, lol.

Last edited by No (2010-11-13 03:47:37)

#5 2010-11-13 11:31:44

No

Well I am still having problems with getting anything other then startx to work. GDM gives me the same error. Can anyone point me to the right documentation for getting GDM/Gnome or LXDE set up? Or offer anyone advice?

Also, not sure if I should post it here or start a new thread.  I will here I guess. I created a user with adduser just fine. I checked to see what groups where available and added what was needed, I think. Anyways for some reason I can't startx with a normal user, only as root. I am guessing the user doesn't have the permissions to startx. I am not sure what group this would fall under or do I have to create another group and add the user to that one? Or is it something else?

#6 2010-11-13 13:10:03

Barrucadu
Website

Did you start the dbus daemon? Also, did you look in the beginners' guide on the wiki for user groups?

#7 2010-11-13 14:06:20

No

I checked out the user groups at the wiki. I may have missed it but I couldn't find anything other then the video group, which I did add.

Ok I am not sure I did this yet. How would I start or auto start the dbus daemon? I will check the wiki after I post this and look as well.

#8 2010-11-13 14:14:30

No

Well that was easy. All I had to add was dbus and hal to DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network crond alsa openntpd) in the /etc/rc.conf file. Rebooted and gdm/gnome works. I can also log in as user rather then root. Thanks all for the patience and help.

Edit: This is solved. I am not sure how or if I can mark it as solved yet. Looking and dont' see anything so I am guessing I have to have a certain amount of posts before I can mark something as solved?

Last edited by No (2010-11-13 14:17:14)

#9 2010-11-13 14:20:03

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

You can just prepend [solved] to your topic title No, by editing the first post.

Next time, please research first before asking on the forums, thanks.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#10 2010-11-13 14:31:45

No

Thanks for the info on how to mark it as solved.

As far as researching, this I did do. I didn't expect the Arch wiki to actually be helpful and in order. Many wiki's are not. Even the Arch wiki search was great. So I usually just Sroogle the issues, which I did do this time. However that did not work out well. So I tried a search at the forums, that didn't come back with anything. Maybe I should have worded the search better.

As far as asking questions at the forum? I will, might even be really dumb ones at times. I will appoligize for the stupid questions in advance but not for the asking. That is what forums and the Arch newbie sections are for smile

Last edited by No (2010-11-13 14:33:35)

Board footer