You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-11 11:46:55

stiffy420

External soundcard

Hi

i have a Focusrite Saffire soundcard. i want it to completly replace my onboard soundcard. Is that possible?

I manage to get ffado-mixer up and running but i still just get sound from onboard soundcard.

Im using pulseaudio.

can someone plase point me into the right direction.

#2 2010-11-11 11:56:37

vacant

Re: External soundcard

Disable the internal soundcard in the BIOS. Or blacklist the internal soundcard module in rc.conf

e.g. I blacklist snd_hda_intel to disable by laptop sound

If I boot my laptop with my HD TV (vga cable) and my 7.1 USB sound card attached, then snd_usb_audio is loaded and I can watch video with surround sound.

If I boot my laptop normally, no sound is is available because I blackist snd_hda_intel so in /etc/rc.local I have:

if  ! [[ -d /proc/asound ]]; then
     modprobe snd-hda-intel
fi

That gets sound through the internal laptop speakers/headphones. I also use pulseaudio.

#3 2010-11-11 13:01:23

stiffy420

thanks for the response. i tried blacklisting snd_hda_intel, by putting it in modules with a !. but now i dont have sound at all.

#4 2010-11-11 13:19:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If you're using pulseaudio, you could just set that card as default, everything will play through it. Try 'set-default-sink ***' where *** is the name of your card (according to pulse) in /etc/pulse/default.pa.

Then you always have the option of using pavucontrol to move streams on the fly if you want.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-11-12 08:45:08

stiffy420

ngoonee wrote:

If you're using pulseaudio, you could just set that card as default, everything will play through it. Try 'set-default-sink ***' where *** is the name of your card (according to pulse) in /etc/pulse/default.pa.

Then you always have the option of using pavucontrol to move streams on the fly if you want.

Pulseaudio doesnt seem to recognize the soundcard. the only output i have in pavucontrol is "dummy output" so i dont know what to put in /etc/pulse/default.pa

#6 2010-11-12 12:18:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

stiffy420 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Pulseaudio doesnt seem to recognize the soundcard. the only output i have in pavucontrol is "dummy output" so i dont know what to put in /etc/pulse/default.pa

You probably already have something accessing your soundcard prior to pulseaudio starting. Check out pulse's wiki on that.

If pulseaudio really can't detect your sound card, either you don't have the right kernel module or its just not linux-supported. Pulseaudio works with whatever works with alsa.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-11-12 13:52:07

stiffy420

I checked at http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main and i cant find my soundcard there. So it will  not work with archlinux then?

Is it possible to make it work with jack-connection-kit or installing windows drivers for the card thru wine?

#8 2010-11-12 14:00:40

stiffy420

Okey. i got some kind of progress now. first of i started ffado-mixer, i then typed "sudo jackd -d firewire" in the terminal and now the buttons on the soundcard respond and the lights are green instead of yellow. but still no sound.

edit:

Ok. now im trying to get pulseaudio through jack by editing /etc/pulse/default.pa, but then i cant start pulseaudio. i get this error message:

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1219356464, from thread -1219356464] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
no message buffer overruns
E: module-jack-sink.c: jack_client_open() failed.
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-jack-sink" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

Last edited by stiffy420 (2010-11-12 15:27:19)

#9 2010-11-13 09:35:28

stiffy420

Maybe we could move this thread to the multimedia section?

#10 2010-11-13 14:48:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'll move it. I suggest you try jack alone for accessing the sound card, pulse through jack is a bit more complicated. If you can get jack connected to the soundcard start a new topic and I'll help you on that portion. This current thing you're doing I'm not too sure about.

Board footer