You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-01 17:25:14

jskier
Website

Unexplained hard crashes

I recently upgraded to a Pentium 4 3 gigahertz and new motherboard, also kept my old hardware (which I haven't had a problem with in the past, minus the usual ATI linux crap). I recompiled the kernel (2.6.11.7, only slight changes were needed to be made) and reinstalled Windows XP as it wouldn't boot at all.

About after a week I started getting repeated hard lockups in Arch for 4 days  continuosly and the same problem just happened to me yesterday in Windows XP. When I say hard lock up I mean absolutely everything freezes with exception of holding the power button down.

The crashes in linux happened while running Apollon and Firefox (reading news), which I do 90% of the time in linux. In Windows XP I was running Firefox and checking my work e-mail which uses Java, running Winamp for music (which I assume made a constant beep sound when the system froze) if this info helps at all. The problem is not easy to replicable, I'd almost say it is unexpected or random.

I have no logs in either operating system that would hint any crash what so ever. I suspected heat but after checking the temperature right away after each crash it was between 95 F - 109 F.

My hardware:
MSI NeoV2 6788 (latest bios installed)
1 gigabyte of DDR 333
Ati Radeon 9600 128
2 ata hard drives
2 cdroms - DVD player and burner

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

--
JSkier

#2 2005-05-01 18:03:02

i3839

Re: Unexplained hard crashes

Try get your mobo replaced, I've heard very bad things about recent MSI mobo's from someone who works in a computershop.

Next thing to check is your powersupply I think. Did you run memtest86 already?

#3 2005-05-01 19:15:15

jskier
Website

Ouch, too bad I didn't know that about MSI... I actaully had the mobo replaced once already because the first one I got didn't boot.

I had run memtest86 on my older board before I upgraded, but I will give that another shot on the new one here before I head off to work. I really hope its not the motherboard cause its already been a pain bringing the first one back to the store  :shock:

Thanks for the input, I'll post the memtest results when I get them.

--
JSkier

#4 2005-05-01 19:38:28

i3839

It's more about "no errors" or "a lot of errors". If you get just a few always in the same addresses then it's bad memory, but very small chance that that is the case. If it locks up in memtest then it's probably the cpu (at least that was the case for me).

But you said it worked fine for a week or so? That's a bit strange. I'm suspecting the powersupply too, you have quite a lot of devices, so the cpu upgrade may tip it over the edge.

To be sure you can also check the hd's for bad blocks, though those probably won't give such hard lockups.

In Linux you can try Alt+SysRq+b when lucked up and see if it reboots the pc (check if it's enabled in your kernel with `zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSR`).

But seeing as it's MSI and already gave problems, first get another mobo, preferably something else than a MSI.

#5 2005-05-02 17:50:47

jskier
Website

The power supply is a 500 watt and its only a year old. The memtest went without an error as well. I'll see how it runs for another week and then take it back, thanks.

--
JSkier

#6 2005-05-02 18:08:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm, what temperatures is it running at? is the heatsink seated right? those 775 ones are goofy...

#7 2005-05-03 08:15:59

Kern

Similar problem in here a week or so back, found to be lack of heat transfer paste between cpu and heatsink.

For load  s/w testing maybe try http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/   
temp monitor, also includes error checking.

for other tests try  http://ultimatebootcd.com/
has links to original programs in case you dont want to d/l the full iso.

could also maybe try hijack someones Desk Fan, open the side of the PC and have a gale blowing through. I heard sometimes that there can be internal hotspots from restricted pattern of airflow due to fan/board/card layout.

#8 2005-05-09 00:52:50

jskier
Website

Thanks for the ideas....
I'm starting to suspect the sound card now... I'll see what happens for a bit when I take it out. I'm working on getting rid of the ATI card as well. I'll keep status posted, thanks again.

--
JSkier

Board footer