You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-12 06:22:11

eximius

Installed-GDM crashes on boot

Alright basic info.... hp dv5 laptop running windows 7, ubuntu 10.04, and arch linux.

soo everthing went fine in the install... a little scary but not so bad.

for the record I am using the guide posted by the fine people over at Lifehacker at

http://lifehacker.com/5680453/build-a-k … he-process

So I followed that guide just about to the letter and when I installed gnome and everything and rebooted into arch it brought up a garbled graphic. I may video for clarity if necessary and post it on my handy dandy server (repping ubuntu. yay noobs!).

So i installed xorg... gnome... etc...  gdm just comes up with.... garbled blocky pixels on boot. any idea what this is and how to fix it?

also how do I boot up into CLI so that I can actually get access to the system to get more informatino if I need it for yall?

I had something else to add but im tired so i forgot..... appreciate anything yall can help with.

#2 2010-11-12 17:00:43

3])

Re: Installed-GDM crashes on boot

Sounds like a graphics driver problem, did you install the proper drivers?

Check the https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _Install_X

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

#3 2010-11-14 01:28:40

eximius

Re: Installed-GDM crashes on boot

Ah. Thats it. I installed GDM before the driver. Had to keep switching between tt1 adn tt7 cause i couldnt see it and when i switched to tt7 i could see a sliver of tt1 lol finally got gdm removed and then installed nvidia then reinstalled gdm.

Problem = solved.

Thank you!

Last edited by eximius (2010-11-14 01:28:54)

Board footer