You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-13 20:05:24

Lars Stokholm

[SOLVED] Randomly garbled at sign, "@", in irssi

Hi, I'm experiencing some very strange behavior from irssi, but it seems to be isolated to Arch Linux.

When I join channels with ops in them, @ (the at sign) is garbled randomly. Have a look at this (root is an op, and the question mark should have been a @):

4mR2Z.png

I have not been able to reproduce it in Fedora, even with the same system settings. I've asked in one of the irssi IRC channels, but there was no help, so now I'm turning to you guys for ideas.

Here are the details
The problems appears both in the console and in different terminal emulators (I tried both xterm and urxvt). I have tried using different locales (en_US.UTF-8 for example). I've even tried running irssi with a "fresh" user, just created with useradd. None of these attempts to get closer to the problem have gotten me anywhere.

But there's more - I've read through the logs with hexdump and this is what I saw: Where the @ sign should be, I see these codes: 10, 20, 30, 40, ..., E0, F0 - always ending in zero, but beginning with a new number every time. Most of these are shown as question marks, but 40 is the code for the @ sign, so I do occationally see it. I don't know if this is a coinsidence or not.

I have really NO idea where to go from here, but the problem is beginning to get on my nerves, so please: If you've got any clues what-so-ever... don't hold back.

Thanks. smile

Last edited by Lars Stokholm (2010-11-14 19:39:32)

#2 2010-11-14 03:27:18

egan

Re: [SOLVED] Randomly garbled at sign, "@", in irssi

I can't help about a solution, but I can say I experienced this problem. Only the first op would be corrupted, and the character would often be a 0 or a P for me, though it would also be unrenderable at times.

#3 2010-11-14 08:31:52

Lars Stokholm

Thanks... So at least it doesn't sound like something is corrupted on my system.

You say experienced... Did the problem go away by itself, did you stop using irssi or ...?

#4 2010-11-14 12:05:51

Army

Same thing here. I don't really give a damn about it, but yeah, it's strange!

#5 2010-11-14 16:45:30

Lars Stokholm

It's not the garbled @ itself, it's more that I don't know the source of the problem. I guess it's a (very mild) analogue to begin ill without knowing the reason for your illness: I just want to know the name of the disease. smile

#6 2010-11-14 16:51:46

egan

Lars Stokholm wrote:

Thanks... So at least it doesn't sound like something is corrupted on my system.

You say experienced... Did the problem go away by itself, did you stop using irssi or ...?

Yes, I stopped using irssi. When I first started using irssi there was no such problem and it appeared in an update. I'm not quite sure when; I recall that it happened in the summer and according to my pacman log, it was most likely the upgrade from 0.8.15-1 -> 0.8.15-3.

#7 2010-11-14 19:38:50

Lars Stokholm

Something must be wrong with the build, because if I fetch the PKGBUILD and build it myself, everything is okay. So I guess I can rename this to solved, as it will probably/hopefully solve itself on the next package release.

Board footer