You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-12 03:56:45

dozerismydogsname

Laptop shuts down while installing/updating

I've been having this problem for a while now and i have no idea how to fix it. My laptop seems to just shutdown when installing or updating programs. At first i thought the problem was that the laptop was overheating from playing games on my windows partition, however that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any advice on what is causing the problem or what i can do to fix it?

#2 2010-11-15 15:21:21

lagagnon
Website

Re: Laptop shuts down while installing/updating

Shutdown issues IMHO are usually related to : 1) overheating, 2) power supply faults, 3) CPU or motherboard faults. They rarely are related to RAM or hard drive errors as those tend to show up as lock-ups (rather than shutdowns). Given you have a laptop with what I assume is a decent battery and connected to your power supply I don't think you have a power supply fault - but that is possible.

Try stressing your system in Windows with a CPU stress program and see if you get shutdowns, then you know for sure you have a hardware fault. You might want to burn a copy of Ultimate Boot CD and double check your RAM, hard drive for errors but I don't think they are your problem.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer