You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-14 21:46:04

Mikus01

[SOLVED] Having network issues with my Acer Aspire 5740

Hi all, Im new to ArchLinux, I've been an Ubuntu/Linux Mint user for the last two years and thought it was time to try something that gave me more power and made me learn new stuff, that's when I decided to start using Arch.  My "first contact" was under a VM on virtualbox ose and it I've loved what I've seen so far.  Yet now that I'm trying to run a native copy I'm having issues with my network.  For one ifconfig -a shows only two components, lo and wlan0, no eth0 anywhere.  Now, I wouldn't mind much about that if I could get the wireless to work, but when I try to connect throught dhcpcd I always get a dhcpcd timed out error.  This is what I've been doing:

ifconfig wlan0 up  ( returns nothing, and if I run ifconfig wlan0 is shown as ON )
iwlist wlan0 scan ( returns info on the three routers I have at my place, ssid, frequency, signal quality, etc... )
iwconfig wlan0 essid <<network ssid>> key <<WEP key>>
iwconfig wlan0     ( I get all the info on the connection including the WEP key I just entered )
dhcpcd wlan0      ( shows the dhcpcd startting message, waiting for carrier then the timed out message )

could you guys give me some insight on this one?

Last edited by Mikus01 (2010-11-15 18:12:32)

The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? big_smile

#2 2010-11-15 18:12:09

Mikus01

Re: [SOLVED] Having network issues with my Acer Aspire 5740

I'm still having issues sometimes when going through that procedure... However, dunno why but using netcfg worked out for me.  Just create a network profile and execute netcfg -c <profile_name> hope this helps anyone smile

The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? big_smile

Board footer