You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-13 22:25:15

blizz

Laptop rebooting when connect ac adapter

As in topic. When I connect ac adapter laptop is restarting. But if I run arch with connected ac adapter and then disconnect it, battery starts to work and everything is good.

#2 2008-10-13 22:46:40

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: Laptop rebooting when connect ac adapter

Try disabling ACPI if you have it installed:

/etc/rc.d/acpid stop

This sounds like an ACPI event gone wrong.

Alternatively, check syslog/dmesg for any clues as to what is causing the restart.

Does this happen when running any other operating system (i.e. Windows, or another Linux distro?)

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2008-10-20 15:12:55

blizz

Acpi stop doesn't help. When it is started it also rebooting. Last day I tried hakin9os.live based on slax with KDE, and there it works for me. I can unplug AC adapter and plug it again. Everything there is ok. I have Windows Vista on this laptop too, and there of cource I don't have any problem with that. I checkec dmesg/syslog but there are some information logs about ACPI (battery, it's captivity, state etc.) but nothing what could help me to solve this problem.

Ask me about something what can help to make it working.

ps. sory for mistakes

Last edited by blizz (2008-10-20 15:25:02)

#4 2008-10-20 23:30:13

methuselah

blizz wrote:

As in topic. When I connect ac adapter laptop is restarting. But if I run arch with connected ac adapter and then disconnect it, battery starts to work and everything is good.

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv9920us..... I've had this problem with every 2.6.27 kernel I've tried (2.6.27-2-ARCH, zen2, zenmm, rc1 - rc7).

My 2.6.26 kernel does not have this problem (none of the 2.6.26/2.6.25 kernels have had this problem with battery power on boot up/shut down)

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-20 23:33:17)

#5 2008-10-21 08:28:29

blizz

Sory, my bad. I make mistake. Laptop restarting when I unplug ac adapter, but when it's running on battery and then connect ac adapter everything is fine ;-)

#6 2008-10-21 19:21:51

methuselah

blizz wrote:

Sory, my bad. I make mistake. Laptop restarting when I unplug ac adapter, but when it's running on battery and then connect ac adapter everything is fine ;-)

Do you mean that your laptop is NOT restarting when you unplug the ac adapter, but runs on battery normally?

..... If so, I have been going through the same thing.

My computer boots normally, runs normally and restarts and shuts down normally, as long as the AC adapter is plugged in.

If I unplug the AC adapter while it's already running, the battery power dis-charges like normal, and my computer runs just like it always does..... until I try to shut it down or reboot while still unplugged...... then it will freeze/stop during the re-start/shutdown, until I plug the AC adapter back in..... then it continues with the restart/shutdown as normal.

Same problem with booting up the system with the AC adapter not plugged in..... it will freeze/stop at the ACPI part until I plug the AC adapter back in.

This is not good for a laptop..... considering that there isn't always a plug to use the AC adapter with.

This is my hardware specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu … 28&lang=en

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-21 21:45:46)

#7 2008-10-22 02:33:43

bebeababa

methuselah wrote:

My computer boots normally, runs normally and restarts and shuts down normally, as long as the AC adapter is plugged in.

If I unplug the AC adapter while it's already running, the battery power dis-charges like normal, and my computer runs just like it always does..... until I try to shut it down or reboot while still unplugged...... then it will freeze/stop during the re-start/shutdown, until I plug the AC adapter back in..... then it continues with the restart/shutdown as normal.

Same problem with booting up the system with the AC adapter not plugged in..... it will freeze/stop at the ACPI part until I plug the AC adapter back in.

This is not good for a laptop..... considering that there isn't always a plug to use the AC adapter with.

I've also had the above problem ever since upgrading to the 2.6.27 kernel. For what it's worth, pressing "enter" a bunch of times while the laptop is trying to boot or shutdown seems to move the process along for some reason.

My machine is also an HP Pavilion dv9000 series. Not sure which one it is specifically, but it has specs similar to the above laptop.

#8 2008-10-22 03:39:22

methuselah

bebeababa wrote:
methuselah wrote:

I've also had the above problem ever since upgrading to the 2.6.27 kernel. For what it's worth, pressing "enter" a bunch of times while the laptop is trying to boot or shutdown seems to move the process along for some reason.

My machine is also an HP Pavilion dv9000 series. Not sure which one it is specifically, but it has specs similar to the above laptop.

Thanks! That works for both shutting down and booting up..... this will work for me until they fix the 2.6.27 to boot/shutdown smoothly with HP Pavilions like ours.

Thanks again.

#9 2008-10-22 12:25:40

blizz

methuselah wrote:
blizz wrote:

Do you mean that your laptop is NOT restarting when you unplug the ac adapter, but runs on battery normally?

..... If so, I have been going through the same thing.

No.. I don't have any problem with freezes, the only one which I have is rebooting when I unplug ac adapter, that's all. laptop doesn't switch from AC source to battery and that's the problem

#10 2008-10-24 12:25:17

blizz

Any idea? Maybe someone know where I can find an answer to my question?

#11 2010-11-15 10:14:29

semlanik

Hi,
I have same problem on my Samsung r460. Problem reproduces only if I insert additional  2G memory (4G summary). With default 2G memory all works fine. Also  laptop go to reboot if I connect AC adapter, when it works on battery. Have you found solution for this problem?

Thank you.

#12 2010-11-15 23:09:44

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

semlanik wrote:

Hi,
I have same problem on my Samsung r460. Problem reproduces only if I insert additional  2G memory (4G summary). With default 2G memory all works fine. Also  laptop go to reboot if I connect AC adapter, when it works on battery. Have you found solution for this problem?

Thank you.

This thread is 2 years old. The OP may not even use Arch anymore, and the kernel/acpi problems he experienced are almost certainly different from what you're experiencing. Please start your own thread, don't necro-bump.

Closing.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer