You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-15 15:56:11

scenox

wlan0 goes down after some hours

hi guys,

after some hours of working on my pc (also internet stuff), my internet suddenly doesn't work any longer and i have to "ifconfig wlan0 up" (iwconfig commands doesn't do anything at this situation) to get it working again.

i've checked some files in /sys/class/net/wlan0 but i can't figure out which one is the one for power saving setup. i like power saving but shouldn't the system recognize that i'm surfing in the net? maybe there is another reason for this behaviour.

Anyone knows what the issue could be?

#2 2010-11-15 16:02:08

lagagnon
Website

Re: wlan0 goes down after some hours

Is this a desktop where your signal quality would not vary? How is your signal quality (sudo iwlist wlan0 scan)? Perhaps your router is set to only allow wireless between certain hours or for certain lengths of time (some have this feature) - check your router settings.

Does the network manager you have chosen to use been set to auto-connect in case your wireless is dropped?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-11-15 16:16:28

scenox

thanks for your answer. it's a desktop. signal quality is: Quality=22/100  Signal level=22/100 

i checked the router settings, there is nothing like this. furthermore there was traffic some mins before the shutdown.

i simply use /etc/rc.conf with /etc/rc.d/network daemon. no network manager, no other stuff:

wlan0="dhcp"
wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid scenoxAP"
INTERFACES=(wlan0)
NETWORK_PERSIST="no"

when i do nothing for an hour or so, the wlan also doesn't work (because of NETWORK_PERSIST="no" ?), but i get it easily to work again with "iwconfig wlan0 essid scenoxAP"

Last edited by scenox (2010-11-15 16:27:03)

#4 2010-11-15 16:56:57

lagagnon
Website

That is a poor quality signal and it is little wonder you get disconnections. Is there no way you can connect via an ethernet cable to your desktop? (much more reliable and you'll get faster speeds).

To be honest I don't know what network_persist does. Why not try yes and see what happens - or try using "wicd" instead to manage the connection. See the wiki.

But I do think your problem is simply a weak signal.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#5 2010-11-15 17:14:40

scenox

if i connected via ethernet cable, i'd have to drill at least two holes and the cable would pass the whole house. (my speed is about 8 Mbit/s, ping is also not too bad, a website opens immediately, so speed is no real problem)

i could drill the holes and install a cable, but i'm not sure if it pays off?

#6 2010-11-15 21:27:24

lagagnon
Website

Then it would be probably easier to increase the performance of your wireless router, by changing its location, using reflector antennas, increasing its power output, etc.

The most effective would be to use parabolic or reflector antennas on the router antennas and point them towards your machine. See here:
http://www.freeantennas.com/

#7 2010-11-16 00:10:05

GogglesGuy
Website

Or perhaps "ethernet over powerline" may be a solution if you cannot make the wifi work.

Board footer