You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-02 05:12:14

fetreney2000

What do you think about PC-BSD

I think their installer and package manager are interesting (windows-like approach). I might try this out to see if it is good enough. Take a look at their site here.

#2 2005-05-02 06:16:38

woodstock

Re: What do you think about PC-BSD

I tested this out one of my laptops. It's really great. There is something about FreeBSD that has always appealed to me and I'm not quite sure what it is.

It ran flawlessly on all my laptops hardware even the touchpad, which is very intesting because I've tried various linux distro's on this same laptop (Arch, Gentoo, Debian, even Knoppix and many more) and none of them could manage to get the touchpad to work. I looked into it more and it's a 2.6 / tpconfig problem. Anyway I'm getting off track.

Basically my only complaint would be the overall speed of the desktop during use. PC-BSD might be at fault here, I haven't tried straight vanilla FBSD on it yet to find out. I have a feeling that it autoconfigured some things a little too conservatively by default.

Being BSD based it has the wonderful ports system right at your finger tips. Though in the near future it will have it's own user friendly way of installing packages, very much the same way as Windows does. The dev(s) are currently making an installshield type program to handle installing apps. It should be interesting.

In closing I would have to say that this is a great piece of software. I could care less about the installer and honestly I would personally stick with the real FreeBSD. But for people who have to install it on multiple computers and don't want to spend a HUGE amount of time on each install then this is good for that.

-- woodstock

#3 2005-05-05 14:13:14

oscar

woodstock wrote:

It ran flawlessly on all my laptops hardware even the touchpad, which is very intesting because I've tried various linux distro's on this same laptop (Arch, Gentoo, Debian, even Knoppix and many more) and none of them could manage to get the touchpad to work. I looked into it more and it's a 2.6 / tpconfig problem. Anyway I'm getting off track.

This is also a bit off-topic, but have you tried the Synaptics touchpad driver for x.org/xfree86?

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#4 2005-05-06 01:19:31

woodstock

Lol, yes I have actually. The only problem I ran into was with using tpconfig, which didn't seem to work with some of the newer 2.6 kernels, at least not on my laptop. I have managed to get it to work in the past though, so don't think that I would just brush it off and think that linux didn't support it. It was just in my case due to the newness (is that a word?) of the kernel version and tpconfig not being compatiable.

Anyway, I find using the regular install for FreeBSD a lot, and I mean A LOT better. I don't know why really, but it has never failed me before yet PCBSD's wouldn't install on my friends pc... which the regular FreeBSD ran flawlessly on. Ah well.

Anyway, FreeBSD is really nice and ports is great.

-- woodstock

Board footer