You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-16 07:20:03

encore

Suggest a DE!

Hello!

I plan on installing Arch for my primary workstation. I have played around with it in a VirtualBox but am still unsure on what Desktop Environment to use. I was hoping the experts could give me some advice.

I'm looking for something minimal, yet elegant and functional. I have was thinking either gnome or *box (specifically OpenBox). However, I feel gnome might be a little too bloated. I have read the wikis on them as well ask Xfce, LXDE, dwm, etc... but nothing stands out.

Basically, I'm trying to get this setup with the smallest foot print (i.e. small and fast, thats why I'm using Arch!).

qOWma.png

This is just a basic idea. I still haven't decided completely on where the multiple desktop icons should go or if stats should go elsewhere (like in the panel?)... I like OpenBox because I can launch programs with a right click anywhere. I feel that is much more efficient than having a specific menu in a corner. I also like windows having the small title bars with the standard [Minimize] [Maximize] [Close] schema in the upper-right corner.

EDIT: Realized shortcuts might not be necessary on the panel since I can launch programs from anywhere with a right click!

I am very much a newbie when it comes to customization but not to linux. I have seen some GREAT configs in the screenshot thread so I'd like your help!
(I'll try to find and link them if my design idea is still confusing)

Thanks!

Last edited by encore (2010-11-16 07:29:21)

#2 2010-11-16 07:34:00

flamelab

Re: Suggest a DE!

Lxde ? Have you tried it ?

#3 2010-11-16 08:28:18

SanskritFritz
Website

encore wrote:

I'm looking for something minimal, yet elegant and functional.

Minimal and elegant, those are expressions, every user interprets differently. Minimal in what way? In my thinking, minimal is just the opposite of elegant.

encore wrote:

I have was thinking either gnome or *box (specifically OpenBox). However, I feel gnome might be a little too bloated. I have read the wikis on them as well ask Xfce, LXDE, dwm, etc... but nothing stands out.

What would stand out for you? You actually described here the most boring, simple desktop ANY wm or dm can provide.

encore wrote:

Basically, I'm trying to get this setup with the smallest foot print (i.e. small and fast, thats why I'm using Arch!).

That would be OpenBox or Pekwm, or even Sithwm. But nothing stands out wink

encore wrote:

I like OpenBox because I can launch programs with a right click anywhere. I feel that is much more efficient than having a specific menu in a corner.

The most efficient way is having no menu at all, leaving the mouse on the desk untouched, and starting programs with hotkeys and Kupfer.

You see, you are asking us basically to decide for you about your taste. You already know enough to start with one wm and try another one, and then draft a table of your aspects, to compare solutions.

UPDATE: rereading my post made me realize, that it was a bit mean, sorry about that. But still, the point is, that we are speaking about a very subjective matter, where our input can only serve as suggestions, but you already made some very good points that actually show that you have occupied yourself already enough with the problem to safely ignore our suggestions big_smile

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2010-11-16 09:05:37)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#4 2010-11-16 10:13:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

What Sanskrit says about taste is quite true, even though it may have been a bit nasty. There are many threads dealing with the difference between DEs, a generic 'suggest me a DE' thread does not belong here. May I suggest the IRC as the best place for this, plenty of opinions and knowledge there.

Closing.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer