You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-17 19:50:54

ManBlue

[SOLVED]Question about crashes/freezes[SOLVED]

If my system locks up and I'm forced to reboot, what log is generated where I can trace the cause of the crash? If I reboot is it too late?
For me, waiting more than 5 minutes for a screen to "unfreeze" is too long to wait. 

At the time I had maybe two terminator terminals open, pcmanfm, and Chromium with 2 or 3 tabs open. I was downloading 1 wallpaper at a time. Oh and conky because I saw 2 cores around 50%. Couldn't remember what the RAM said.

Last edited by ManBlue (2010-11-18 03:13:30)

Arch 64bit | OpenBox | Registered Linux User #526935

#2 2010-11-18 02:03:31

ChoK

Re: [SOLVED]Question about crashes/freezes[SOLVED]

depends of when your system crash but /var/log/messages.log or /var/log/everything.log are good place to start.

if it's an X application that crashes, look into your ~/.xsessions-errors. Don't log into X before doing that.

You may find worthwile to enable ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X (option DontZap in xorg.conf section ServerFlags see man xorg.conf).
Or enable the magic sysrq keys with sudo sysctl kernel.sysrq = 1 (you can put that in your /etc/sysctl.conf for them to be permanent)
kernel always respond to the magic sysrq keys you can kill X with alt+printscreen/sysrq+K
release keyboard with alt+sysrq+r (if something grabs your keyboard and you can't type anymore)
safely restart with alt+sysrq + S U B (sync filesystem then unmount then reboot)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2010-11-18 03:12:59

ManBlue

Re: [SOLVED]Question about crashes/freezes[SOLVED]

Thanks for the help. I guess I messed up by logging into X and reading your post! I'll remember this for next time.

Arch 64bit | OpenBox | Registered Linux User #526935

Board footer