You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-18 15:24:36

Xenokite
Website

Video Card Swap

Hey guys!! this might be a dumb question but this is something that for future referencing i have something to look back on.

What would be the best way to swap video cards when they are of the same GPU set. Nvidia to Nvidia or ATI to ATI? Also swapping of different chips.

Registered Linux user :#500622
"être fort pour être utile" (be strong to be useful) —Georges Hébert
"There is only Good people and Bad people, we should not be judged by Race, religion or sex but we should be judged by our deeds or actions." - Lindsey Irving
Xenokite aka Lycan

#2 2010-11-18 16:08:53

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Video Card Swap

You usually don't have to do anything. Assuming the cards are supported by the same driver.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-11-18 16:31:14

anonymous_user

If you have a custom xorg.conf you may want to backup and remove it before swapping.

#4 2010-11-18 16:32:21

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Mr.Elendig wrote:

You usually don't have to do anything. Assuming the cards are supported by the same driver.

QFT.

As long as both cards are supported by the same driver, swapping the cards and powering up should be all that is required.

(If a different driver is required/desired, an extra step of out-with-the-old and in-with-the-new driver will be in order.
The presence/absence and/or requirement of xorg.conf will determine if further tweaking is necessary in such cases.)

#5 2010-11-18 16:51:20

Xenokite
Website

Here the thing on my end i have a Geforce FX5500 and i did a small upgrade to a FX5700. Now i most check and see if i did some tweaking on my xorg.conf because it doesn't load. I would login in and it would make as if it is loading and then goes back to the console login.

Registered Linux user :#500622
"être fort pour être utile" (be strong to be useful) —Georges Hébert
"There is only Good people and Bad people, we should not be judged by Race, religion or sex but we should be judged by our deeds or actions." - Lindsey Irving
Xenokite aka Lycan

Board footer