You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-02 19:25:11

DarkPath

Random Blank Screen after Starting/Exiting X

Alright, this is a pretty random problem I've come across on my laptop. Really, it's just an annoyance but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about it. Basically, what happens is that sometimes, whenever I start or exit X, I'll get a blank, black screen. All it takes to fix the problem is, if I just exited X back to the console, I just 'startx' again then try to exit again and generally all is normal then. The same idea applies when I try to start X and I get a blank screen... Crtl+alt+backspace to quit X, then start it again.

I've only had this problem while I've been using framebuffer for the console (radeonfb module is loaded, and I'm pretty sure that's what the console's using, but I'm not sure). This problem also happens whether I use Gnome or Openbox, so it seems to be a problem specifically with X and/or the framebuffer.

My GRUB boot line reads:

# (1) Arch Linux ck6
title Arch Linux (ck6) [/boot/vmlinuz2610-ck6]
root   (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz2610-ck6 root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=773 nosmp devfs=nomount

'uname -a':

Linux Phoenix 2.6.10-ck6 #1 Fri Feb 25 21:22:04 EST 2005 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1700MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I've had some problems booting while on battery, but that's an issue for another time, I believe... probably something to do with ACPI and SMP (found an odd forum posting about SMP and laptops with the kernel...)

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas? Also, just ask about anything else you want to know about my laptop.

#2 2005-05-02 19:26:58

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Random Blank Screen after Starting/Exiting X

are you using an nvidia card? if so, try modprobing nvidia before startx...

#3 2005-05-02 23:49:36

DarkPath

Re: Random Blank Screen after Starting/Exiting X

Nope, it's a Radeon Mobility 9600 64MB. (Hence the 'radeonfb' module I said was loaded.)

wink

That said, I DO have the ATI drivers installed and working fine, however as before, I only seem to encounter this problem when I use a framebuffer console, so I don't think the drivers are the issue. I will, however, try NOT using a framebuffer console for a few days and see if the problem persists.

Board footer