You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-30 08:50:45

aikidoist72

Dual boot Arch and FreeBSD - Grub [solved]

I was wondering if anyone knows if the standard Arch kernel 2.6.11.7-ARCH supports ufs file type?  I have been trying to install and boot into FreeBSD with no luck.  I tried to mount the new partitions in fstab, but kept saying ¨unknown file type¨.

Setup:-

HDA - 40G - Arch
HDB - 40G -FreeBSD
HDC - dvd-rw

Also

I would like to add an entry into my menu.1st file to avoid overwriting grub with the FreeBSD bootloader.  Could somebody post an entry to add please.  I can not seem to find anything in google.

Cheers

[edit]

From

http://geodsoft.com

With FreeBSD 5.0 and 5.1 an new UFS2 file system has been introduced as the default file system. As Nov. 2003 Grub does not support and cannot start a FreeBSD system booting from a UFS2 partition. There are two or possibly three work arounds for this problem. The disklabel program for 5.1 allows allows the UFS type to be toggled by pressing the "1" or "2" key. These are not listed in the available options, but on any partition marked for a new filesystem, pressing 1 toggles it it to UFS1 which Grub can boot. Pressing 2 returns it to the default UFS2.

Using UFS1 will obviously sacrifice whatever benefits prompted the development of UFS2. This may not be significant on a test or experimental machine implied by a multiboot system. One approach is to create a small /boot partition as UFS1 with most of the system installed into one or more larger UFS2 partitions. This will obviously reduce the number of possible systems, if you are doing a many boot system, but otherwise is probably the best solution. Some of the posts archived at mail.gnu.org seem to suggest that some variation of the chainloader command will work with UFS2, but my limited experiments with this were not successful. I chose a single large UFS1 partition which worked fine.

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#2 2005-04-30 10:08:26

LB06

Re: Dual boot Arch and FreeBSD - Grub [solved]

This is how I do it.

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26]
root   (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=791 devfs=nomount acpi=on desktop elevator=cfq

# (1) FreeBSD
title  FreeBSD [5-stable]
root   (hd0,2,a)
chainloader +1

#3 2005-04-30 10:37:57

aikidoist72

Hi LB06,

I tried your entry - but alas I got the warning that ´This command is not recognised´. :?

Do you have your installation on the same hard drive?  Also what version of FreeBSD are you using?

Cheers

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#4 2005-04-30 11:30:23

LB06

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1           8       64228+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2               9        1783    14257687+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3   *        1784        3610    14675377+  a5  FreeBSD

edit:
hda1 is /boot (for Arch)
hda2 is / (Arch)
hda3 is the FreeBSD slice.

I am running 5-stable.

#5 2005-04-30 17:40:26

lanrat

uname -r
2.6.11.7-ARCH
zgrep UFS /proc/config.gz 
# CONFIG_UFS_FS is not set

#6 2005-04-30 23:52:09

aikidoist72

Thanks guys. 

From this I assume that a kernel compile is the go.  I have found a heap of resources on using GRUB to boot everything, but not one actual example that works.  I can not believe that this is beating me :shock:

The installation is easy, configs are slightly trickier, but dual booting is being a pain.  When I have sorted out this dilemma I will post my results, but to this point all I get is an error saying ¨no /kernel´ or ¨unrecognised command¨

Cheers

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves

#7 2005-05-01 12:49:31

LB06

lanrat wrote:
uname -r
2.6.11.7-ARCH
zgrep UFS /proc/config.gz 
# CONFIG_UFS_FS is not set

Sorry, but this has *absolutely* nothing to do with this problem  lol Without vfat built in, it is still possible to (dual)boot Windows. Without UFS(2) it'll still be possible to boot FreeBSD. What you can't do is mount them in (Arch) Linux

What is your partitioning scheme?

#8 2005-05-01 18:54:11

lanrat

Well, sorry but it was an answer for

I was wondering if anyone knows if the standard Arch kernel 2.6.11.7-ARCH supports ufs file type?

and not for the question about dualboot.
We are not posting in the newbies forum so I assumed this is perfectly understandable  8)
And you're of course right about mounting and booting with unsupported filesystem :-)

#9 2005-05-03 01:00:45

aikidoist72

Strike a light - I have solved it!!!!

Thanks guys for your tips.......and it was user error.   :oops:   I was partitioning wrong - linux habit I guess.  I made a /boot partition which seemed to throw out all the file instructions.

With a /boot partition I had to

1) boot into the loader

1:ad(1,a)/loader

then find the kernel

/kernel/kernel

but from that point the system froze!  After reinstalling without a /boot partition I now have

/
/tmp
/swap
/var
/usr
/home

The result is that I can boot up without a drama, and I use the Grub command without error.

# Boot FreeBSD
   title FreeBSD 5.3
   root (hd1,0,a)
   kernel /boot/loader
   makeactive
   savedefault

Thankyou all for your help.  I will edit the title solved.  Cheers

Sitting quietly
Doing nothing
The grass grows
And the flowers bloom
All by themselves