You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-07 16:38:26

anrxc
Website

Vimperator for Emacs users

Hi, first to clear that I have no interest in Conkeror.

So far I used Firefox with LoL extension for hints and Firemacs extension which provided Emacs like bindings. Since the upgrade to X.org 1.6.0 LoL broke, it would spike the CPU and Firefox would freeze while only trying to draw 10+ hints (on Intel graphics).

All this time I read and saw good things about Vimperator... So yesterday I decided to try it, and wrote a config file which gives me the same experience, effectively replacing; LoL, Firemacs, It's All Text, AutoHide-Statusbar and Speed Dial extensions on my system (+ provides a ton of other great options).

Here is my .vimperatorrc. If you already do something similar I would like to see your configuration and find new ideas.

Last edited by anrxc (2010-10-21 05:44:28)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#2 2009-03-09 16:03:25

anrxc
Website

Re: Vimperator for Emacs users

No takers? It provides a great experience for me, but I was also hoping for a postive feedback from someone else. Note for future readers, you can find all about this effort here along with a sorted list of keybindings.

Last edited by anrxc (2010-10-21 05:45:34)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2010-10-21 02:12:16

rekahsoft
Website

Just found out about vimperator today and instantly saw the beauty of the plugin (no mouse ftw!)..anyways i am an emacs user and wasn't really interested in learning vim right now (although it is on my todo list)...i did a few minor customizations to your .vimperatorrc so it would suit my needs. I love it! great work! big_smile The only complaint i have is that when i focus on a flash video i cannot send any command to vimperator sad

#4 2010-10-21 06:27:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@rekahsoft - that's just how flash works, unfortunately.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-10-22 04:26:36

vae77
Website

rekahsoft wrote:

Just found out about vimperator today and instantly saw the beauty of the plugin (no mouse ftw!)..anyways i am an emacs user and wasn't really interested in learning vim right now (although it is on my todo list)...i did a few minor customizations to your .vimperatorrc so it would suit my needs. I love it! great work! big_smile The only complaint i have is that when i focus on a flash video i cannot send any command to vimperator sad

Flash block + some mplayer workaround (eg: clive or youtube-dl)

#6 2010-10-22 08:16:50

Army

rekahsoft wrote:

The only complaint i have is that when i focus on a flash video i cannot send any command to vimperator sad

Actually that worked for me once! The command line of vimperator showed me something like --embedded-- and after escaping I could close the tab with "d". But it _could_ be that this was with another plugin, not flash, I really don't remember...

#7 2010-10-22 08:41:21

neldoreth

Hello,

Vimperator is dead: Pentadactyl is what you want to use with firefox.

Best regards

pwmt.org : programs with movie titles

#8 2010-11-17 17:39:39

be.slayed

Thanks anrxc. I've created a somewhat modified version for Pentadactyl (which is more or less the same as Vimperator).

See here.

My bindings differ in a number of places. Some of the original pentadactyl/vimperator bindings still work too (o and O for open, t and T for open in new tab, f for follow hint), but I've set up more Emacsish ones.

This is a first working version. Comments/suggestions welcome, of course.

--B.

Last edited by be.slayed (2010-11-17 17:43:48)

#9 2010-11-17 18:24:11

Runiq

neldoreth wrote:

Hello,

Vimperator is dead: Pentadactyl is what you want to use with firefox.

Best regards

Wait, how is it dead? I see commits to the hg repo all the time.

#10 2010-11-17 18:41:47

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

It isn't dead. The two main developers (they contributed the most code) forked the project due different views, the original creator of vimperator is still working on it though (albeit not very much).

The two projects have different goals, vimperator aims to be simple and bug-free, while pentadactyl will have a lot more features and way more active development.

Pentadactyl is better in a lot of ways, but not all. For example, if you compare the versions from the hg repos, you'll notice that although pentadactyl has a few possible forms of the commandline/statusbar (including a combined bar), vimperator has adopted a simpler and arguably better version. Pentadactyl will likely incorporate any new features in vimperator though...

#11 2010-11-18 03:43:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

thestinger wrote:

It isn't dead. The two main developers (they contributed the most code) forked the project due different views, the original creator of vimperator is still working on it though (albeit not very much).

The two projects have different goals, vimperator aims to be simple and bug-free, while pentadactyl will have a lot more features and way more active development.

Pentadactyl is better in a lot of ways, but not all. For example, if you compare the versions from the hg repos, you'll notice that although pentadactyl has a few possible forms of the commandline/statusbar (including a combined bar), vimperator has adopted a simpler and arguably better version. Pentadactyl will likely incorporate any new features in vimperator though...

AND pentadactyl is incompatible in minor ways with existing themes/scripts, as far as I know. It also doesn't seem widely used, hard to find posts about it on the webz.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#12 2010-11-20 19:42:35

be.slayed

Just by the bye, the .pentadactylrc config file I linked to should also work with Vimperator.

Board footer