You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-28 20:03:39

lionrafael

pcmanfm only works after I kill it in LXDE

Hello all!

I've been having this problem with pcmanfm in LXDE. If I try to start pcmanfm before running a pkill, it simply won't start. I can try to open it in the terminal, panel, whatever and it doesn't work. I was having problems with it being unable to change my desktop settings as well, but I fixed it by removing the --profile LXDE from the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file. Now I can change my wallpaper.

I used to get a dbus error before, but I added myself to the dbus group so it doesn't happen anymore, but pcmanfm still won't work properly.

I've never used LXDE before so I don't know what files I should be editing and I've search google and these forums for "pcmanfm problem" "pcmanfm problem LXDE" and "pcmanfm", but I didn't find anything that helped me fix this problem. Would you please point me into what I should do to make pcmanfm fully functional? I'm willing to read and I can upload more details if it's necessary.

Please be gentle. As you can see, I'm posting on the Newbie Corner.

#2 2010-10-28 20:26:05

skunktrader

#3 2010-10-28 21:37:01

lionrafael

Re: pcmanfm only works after I kill it in LXDE

OK. So it's a bug. I'll try using the libfm-git and see if it works.

Thanks for taking the time to point me to those threads, skunktrader. I appreciate it.

As a side note, what other file managers for LXDE are worth trying? Someone suggested nitrogen in another thread and I'll check it out if the git doesn't work properly either, but I'm open to suggestions. Edit: Just searched what nitrogen is. It's nice, but I heard about it when I was having difficulties changing wallpapers.

Last edited by lionrafael (2010-10-28 21:49:16)

#4 2010-10-28 22:05:14

schen

Thunar is nice. Midnight commander (console), vifm, and emelfm2 are all good as well.

#5 2010-10-28 22:19:02

lagagnon
Website

I gave up on pcmanfm about a month ago - too many bugs in each of the versions - including new ones. I suggest Thunar instead if you want to make your life less frustrating.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#6 2010-10-28 23:03:49

lionrafael

Thank you schen and lagagnon for your suggestions. As I already know Thunar because of XFCE in Slack, I'm giving emelFM2 a try and I'm liking it so far. I like Arch's flexibility.

#7 2010-11-07 21:37:09

lionrafael

Hi all!

There's something I'd like to share with you that might interest the developers / packagers of Arch.

The problems I was having with pcmanfm don't happen in Debian. I'm using Debian Squeeze at the moment and decided to give pcmanfm another try. I ran

aptitude install lxde lxtask

And it has worked flawlessly so far. The version of pcmanfm that was installed is 0.9.7

I would gladly post a solution here, but I don't have enough skills to spot where the problem is in the source, but someone interested can check it out in the debianized source.

#8 2010-11-17 01:41:05

NevarMaor

For me, pcmanfm worked fine at version 0.9.7 in Arch. Probably why it works fine in Debian (0.9.7 also works fine in Sabayon). It crapped out when updated to 0.9.8-2, which is not available in the other distro's (well, maybe in Deb sid). I get the feeling Arch upgrades a little too quickly at times.

#9 2010-11-17 19:36:16

pickboy87
Website

Yeah, I'm also having troubles with PCmanfm in LXDE. It started happening after an update a couple weeks ago. I tend to gravitate towards Thunar anyway, so currently using that as my main folder manager. The only thing I wish it had were tabs, but it's not really that big of a deal. I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions mentioned. I'm not too fond of a command-line folder navigator though. Tried it a while back, it was fun, but not very practical for me.

#10 2010-11-22 03:06:08

lionrafael

It might be the version difference. I could get around the problem by adding a line "pkill pcmanfm" in the end of ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. It has no memory of your previous choices (show hidden files, for instance), but it works.

Is there no way to get a previous version, say 0.97 in Arch?

#11 2010-11-22 05:35:16

anonymous_user

Board footer