You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-22 19:09:03

hellomynameisphil
Website

[mostly SOLVED] exiting or killing urxvtc seems to kill urxvtd

Hello all,

back to using urxvtc/d after figuring out how to make the clipboard work for me. Now having problems with the urxvtd seemingly being killed on the exit of any instance of urxvtc.

I usually have 2 or more terminal windows open at a time, so I use urxvtc or urxvtcd to minimize resource usage. The problem i am now having on 2 separate computers which are both running Arch Linux is that if I exit from or kill one urxvtc terminal window, *all* of my terminal windows close whether I want them to or not. After this, I am unable to open urxvtc, so it appears that exiting from or killing one urxvtc terminal window kills urxvtd, thus killing all other attached clients.

I have this problem with both urxvtc and urxvtcd. When using urxvtc, I start urxvtd from my .xinitrc, usually with the -f, -o and -q options. This problem occurs with every window manager I have tried.

For now, I am using urxvt, but I would like to get this working. Any thoughts?

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2010-11-30 02:24:54)

#2 2010-11-23 16:25:36

hellomynameisphil
Website

Re: [mostly SOLVED] exiting or killing urxvtc seems to kill urxvtd

Am I missing information that would help people answer this?

It may also be relevant that I have compiled urxvt{,c,cd} from ABS. I did this to enable afterimage so I could have an icon in the taskbar. I am unclear as to whether this would have any impact.

#3 2010-11-24 03:40:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

man urxvt has a nice script which auto-starts urxvtd when needed. I use this, and thus wouldn't notice if urxvtd dies. It doesn't seem to on my system though, the times I've checked. Then again, I close it using my WM shortcut, not through exit or kill, so that may be different.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-11-24 17:26:51

hellomynameisphil
Website

ngoonee wrote:

man urxvt has a nice script which auto-starts urxvtd when needed. I use this, and thus wouldn't notice if urxvtd dies. It doesn't seem to on my system though, the times I've checked. Then again, I close it using my WM shortcut, not through exit or kill, so that may be different.

Thank you for the reply! I have been through 'man urxvt' and cannot find a script matching your description. There is, however, a script listed in 'man urxvtc', which I have already tried. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I mentioned urxvtcd, as that is the script listed in 'man urxvtc'. I have the problem of all instances of urxvtd being killed when I exit from or kill any urxvtc window whether I start urxvtd from my .xinitrc and start urxvtc windows directly, or whether I use the script listed in 'man urxvtc', which I have installed as urxvtcd.

UPDATE: I found that if I deleted the socket after urxvtd died, that I no longer had this issue. Therefore, I added a line to urxvtcd, as follows:

#!/bin/sh
urxvtc "$@"
if [ $? -eq 2 ]; then
    rm "$HOME/.rxvt-unicode-$HOSTNAME" || ([ ! -z "$RXVT_SOCKET" ]  && rm "$HOME/$RXVT_SOCKET")
    urxvtd -q -o -f
    urxvtc "$@"
fi

This seems to work for now. If it stops working, I'll be back! :-)

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2010-11-26 17:43:37)

Board footer