You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-23 20:44:36

mrmonday

ATI Problems

Hi folks,

I switched to the ATI Catalyst driver for my Radeon HD 5450 about a month after installing Arch... Ever since, I've experienced random crashes (after a quick flickering off the screen). After a recent update to catalyst, 3D support seems to be completely broken (probably a configuration issue of some sort)... I figure this is a convenient point to try and fix the situation - I can think of several ways to do this:

1) Get a new graphics card - I've never had any issues with nVidia/Intel graphics cards on linux, and can pick one up for next to nothing
2) Attempt to fix the configuration issues with catalyst, and just hope the crashing issues end at some point (full system lock ups, occasionally I can still ssh in, as it varies I've given up though)
3) Switch to the open source drivers - what's the 3D support like? How about dual head support?

Are there any other possible solutions I'm missing? Which option should I go with?

Thanks for your input,

Robert

#2 2010-11-24 19:41:08

_abraxas

Re: ATI Problems

i also experienced various problems when using an ati card. the catalyst driver had bad performance in 2d mode and the open source driver had bad performance in 3d mode. dual head support didn't work with proprietary drivers in my case, only with the open source drivers. this is why i switched to nvidia (intel graphics works also fine on my netbook).

Last edited by _abraxas (2010-11-24 19:41:55)

Board footer