You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-24 17:51:10

OlivierToupin

Running Mac OS X Steam on Linux

Before I start I must say, I know there is rumor that Steam is coming to Linux, there is already a post for that: Steam (+ Source engine) coming to Linux. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=97027.

But that's NOT what I want to talk about. If it works one day fine, but it's not for tomorrow.

It also seems that some Steam games run fine on WINE. That not the point either.

I want to discuss the feasibility to run the Mac OS X version of the Steam games on Linux, more specificly Arch Linux.

Why? Correct me if I'm wrong but WINE as to emulate DirectX in order to run a Windows game, the Mac OS X version are native OpenGL. Thus, it would be more reliable and faster to run the Mac OS X version.

I want to know if there a realiable way to run Mac OS X Steam game on Linux.

If not is there some kind of WINE like project for that?

If not is there some lib, program, etc, that could serve as a baseline for an "emulator"?

If not is there anyone interested in that developpement. I am but my time is limited and I would need all the help I can find?

#2 2010-11-24 18:23:35

Kidfork

Re: Running Mac OS X Steam on Linux

Not that I know of, I've also heard rumors that Steam has stopped developing the Linux version of steam. hmm

16-Year Old Linux User
Arch Linux AMD64, 4GB DDR2, 320HDD 2.7 Pentium Dual, Geforce 9500 GT
Former Ubuntu/Windows User

#3 2010-11-24 20:36:59

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Running Mac OS X Steam on Linux

It has been discussed before that it seems closer to port things from Mac OS X to Linux than from Windows... but so far it seems as if there is less interest and emulating Cocoa and all the Core<X> things is quite complex.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

Board footer