You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-04 02:45:02

elasticdog
Website

Network Confusion During Installation (Dual LAN Motherboard)

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this situation...I was installing Arch on my system last night, following the official Installation Guide, and ran in to some networking confusion.  I have a DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B motherboard, which has two NICs onboard (Realtek 8110S & ICS 1893Y PHY) and I've always just used the one Ubuntu chose by default.

During the installation, I successfully probed for the proper network module...however, upon trying to configure my network with DHCP it could not connect.  Nothing in my hardware setup had changed, and my router was working as it should.  Eventually I thought of trying to switch my cable into the other NIC on the motherboard to see if that one had been detected.  It worked!  At that point, I was able to download all of the BASE packages and complete the installation, but as soon as I rebooted the machine for the first time, I noticed that it would not configure the network once again.

On a whim, I decided to switch the cable back to the original NIC, and was flabbergasted when it started working.  You'll have to fogive me, as I'm somewhat of a Linux n00b, but I was hoping that someone could tell me why this would have happened, and also how to check and see if both NICs are configured properly.  Thanks...

#2 2005-05-04 03:04:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Network Confusion During Installation (Dual LAN Motherboard)

it depends on the order in which the modules are loaded... first loaded is eth0, second is eth1 - if you want to force them to be specific devices, add the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias eth0 <module for first NIC>
alias eth1 <module for second NIC>

#3 2005-05-04 03:25:43

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Network Confusion During Installation (Dual LAN Motherboard)

make sure you remove whatever you load with modprobe.conf from the MODULES list in /etc/rc.conf
Having them in both places could cause problems..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer