You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-26 16:16:14

rusma

Vicious does not work in awesome anymore

Hi!

I'm an awesome user. Have anyone got the vicious widget library to work with a fresh aur/awesome-git recently? I have got some problems with it since yesterday (ref: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109000).

I've managed to get awesome up and running by auditing a fresh rc.conf and have menus, tags and all (http://git.sysphere.org/awesome-configs/tree/rc.lua is a really useful reference). But when I try to add stuff like a battery percetage (vicious.widgets.bat) or some other vicious widget, awesome crashes. However, `awesome -k' gives

✔ Configuration file syntax OK.

Also, does anyone know if a recent change has happened in awesome's configuration syntax that is causing this conflict?

The battery monitor is important for me, because I use a laptop smile I found ibamtray in the repos, and it seems decent.

#2 2010-11-26 16:50:28

anrxc
Website

Re: Vicious does not work in awesome anymore

mytext = widget({ type = "textbox" }) does not exist anymore. It was moved to Lua.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2010-11-26 21:13:59

KimTjik

How exactly do you mean by "moved to Lua"? Lua is used, so how can it be moved to "Lua"?

I've respect for the project, but what makes it difficult isn't changes by themselves, but the mish-mash wiki of current and outdated. If I understand your comment correctly anrxc the vicious wiki page is now outdated.

#4 2010-11-26 21:46:14

anrxc
Website

No, it is not outdated. Why do people insist on using (under heavy) development software?

Moved to Lua means that widget() function was previously provided by the C API. Now textbox widgets are provided by the Lua API. You can find the documentation in /usr/share/doc/awesome. Creating textbox widgets is now using something like awful.widget.textbox(), or wibox.widget.something()... you'll have to find it.

Last edited by anrxc (2010-11-26 21:47:43)

#5 2010-11-26 22:37:45

KimTjik

anrxc wrote:

Why do people insist on using (under heavy) development software?

The project is three years old. The project lists some versions as stable, so why should I to the contrary decide that it's not meant to be used as being "under heavy development"? The home page actually points out features as "very stable" and "very well documented source code and API", both which is true with a twist. In that context your comment doesn't seem to harmonize with given information about the project.

I didn't criticize the project, I only pointed out why it's difficult for end users not initiated in the development to RTFM, when you don't know for sure what to read. I've used Awesome for close to two years.

Forgot to add that I've gone through my rc.lua and adjusted with success widgets.

Last edited by KimTjik (2010-11-26 23:06:41)

#6 2010-11-26 23:03:14

anrxc
Website

I didn't criticize the project, I only pointed out why it's difficult for end users not initiated in the development to RTFM

I just assume if one, he, is using -git software then he must know something about inner workings of that software.

Well, maybe not. Now he has a more complete explanation.

#7 2010-11-27 11:16:19

ryuslash
Website

KimTjik wrote:

The project is three years old. The project lists some versions as stable, so why should I to the contrary decide that it's not meant to be used as being "under heavy development"? The home page actually points out features as "very stable" and "very well documented source code and API", both which is true with a twist.

I'm assuming he was talking about the fact that it was the -git version. Which promises nothing other then being the latest version of it.
I've only had any real trouble with awesome on Ubuntu a little while ago, but that appears to have been caused by some library and not awesome itself, I'd say that the released stable versions are very stable.

But if you read the mailing list, yeah sometimes you see messages come by saying that everything is changing again, which is what happened after 3.4.8 smile

#8 2010-11-27 14:38:33

rusma

OK, I've gotten the basic functions of the widgets to work. I replaced the old

widget({ type = "imagebox" })

with

wibox.widget.textbox()

, but I do not know why the iconwidgets and graph gradients do not work. For example, my cpugraph section looks like this:

-- {{{ CPU usage and temperature
--cpuicon = widget({ type = "imagebox" })
--cpuicon.image = image(beautiful.widget_cpu)
-- Initialize widgets
cpugraph  = awful.widget.graph()
tzswidget = wibox.widget.textbox()
-- Graph properties
cpugraph:set_width(40):set_height(14)
cpugraph:set_background_color(beautiful.fg_off_widget)
--cpugraph:set_gradient_angle(0):set_gradient_colors({
--   beautiful.fg_end_widget, beautiful.fg_center_widget, beautiful.fg_widget
--}) 
-- Register widgets
vicious.register(cpugraph,  vicious.widgets.cpu,      "$1")
vicious.register(tzswidget, vicious.widgets.thermal, " $1C", 19, "thermal_zone0")
-- }}}

the commented part of the Graph properties is non working.

Next, the second line here:

dateicon = wibox.widget.imagebox()
dateicon.image = image(beautiful.widget_date)

is not working either, although I have defined widget_date.

#9 2010-11-28 00:02:58

anrxc
Website

That changed too, well at least for graphs I am certain... and images/icons usage must have too since you couldn't get them to work.

All widgets are now drawn completely different (thus those new dependancies oocairo and oopango), and gradient usage is much different. I think there is an example on the mailing list from Uli Schlachter about new gradient usage.

Board footer